how to get second life to run ubuntu latest version

Xavier Darkstone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

If you downloaded the Linux version of the viewer, it should automatically load when you double click on the exe file in your Downloads directory.  If you downloaded a PC or Mac version, though, it won't do anything. With luck, a Linux expert will wander by shortly and give you more detailed assurances.

If you still have trouble after trying that, come back here and add to your post by clicking on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and selecting EDIT. Please do NOT start a new thread. 

There are several ways. Second Life technically does not need to be installed on Linux. All you do is unpack it to your home directory or wherever you prefer and run it from that directory on terminal as ./secondlife or browse to that directory and double click on it. You can also make a launcher for it and add it to you menu.

EDIT: I've not the time to write a step by step at the moment I have to run. If you still have not figured it out in an hour or so when I get back I will write it out for you.

Ok I'm back.

1. Unpack it to your home directory or whatever one you prefer.

- you can do that via command line by typing:

cd ~/Downloads

tar xjf second[press tab then enter to auto pick the file name]

that will extract it to your Downloads folder just move it to the home folder or wherever.

-easiest way to extract it is to double click on the tar file and archive manager will attempt to extract it, just pick the home folder as the destination, you're done.

2. If you are on the latest Ubuntu you will need to install alacarte to be able to add a menu item.

sudo apt-get install alacarte

3. Use alacarte to create a menu item. Find it by typing main menu into the unity HUD

Screenshot - 09242012 - 07:40:12 PM.png

It will look like this. Note: I use xfce but for unity it will look the same and called the same. I normally put my viewers under Internet, you can put it where you want. Click "new Item" under command browse to the second life directory and select the executable file the one called "secondlife". Add your icon, then click ok and close alacarte. You're done.

Now you will find it on the unity HUD and launch it from there.

Otherwise you can use the command line to launch it each time.

• Like 1

The file secondlife.sh is the file that is needing to be executed. 

When I have clicked it after adding it using the Alacarte menu editor the client will load and then close.

There is the statement that for linux that they are recommending an nvidia graphics card.  the computer I am using is has a intel graphics card.  

Operating system Ubuntu 13.04 with KDE installed and gstreamer packages installed.  

KDE Platform Version 4.11.00

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3894 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.