Why do I see flashing, "checkerboard" effect in some places in SL?

Larghum Farigoule

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

That is definitely a problem with ATI Radeon cards. Some of the checkerboard / star patterns that appear in clouds and on some prims (see screenshot blow) vanished when I disabled the Catalyst A.I. in the video card driver, under "Graphics --> 3D --> All" in the Catalyst Control Center. But I still ran into this graphics bug on occasion.

borkage.jpg

What finally did the trick was an older version of the the Catalyst driver. Uninstall your old Catalyst version and download version 10.9 from the ATI homepage. You can find it under the "previous drivers" link at the bottom of the download page, after selecting your video card and OS. All newer drivers don't seem to work well with SL.

PS: Peewee is right that disabling VBO in the viewer also helps with some visual bugs. It has no effect on this weird pattern, but it prevents polygon borkage like this:

borkage1.jpg

• Like 1

I am running an ATI Radeon HD 5850 card and had awful trouble with "stars in the sky" and with "flashing boxes" on my head when underwater. I tried going backwards with older drivers but with no success and in desparation downloaded the latest driver for the card. Bingo! No more "stars" or "boxes" and everything is working perfectly. This with the latest Phoenix viewer (908?) so I don't know if this will help with any other cards or viewers. Best of luck. I hope you find a solution soon.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4775 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.