Why do I receive a message saying invalid characters when I try to change my display name?

Kyra Reyer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4731 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When I try to use unicode characters in my display name, I receive a message saying it contains invalid characters. Yet on my other account, I was able to change it without any trouble? What do I have to do to allow these characters?

11 answers to this question

Were it the same characters? Not all Unicode characters are allowed! Evenmore, the web profiles cannot show all Unicode characters that are actually allowed to use!

BTW: Using "cool" looking Unicode characters is IMHO a bad habit and seems to be catching. I can't see anything 1337 in it setting a display name that is completely unreadable only because it looks cool.

True, it's a major annoyance. As bad example I have set a display name for my alt that is completely unreadable and unpronouncable. Still waiting to run up to a LL event and ask a question that is answered on voice - and I will insist on saying the name correctly! :)

And that is the reason I have now permanently turned off display names, the moronic childish names were getting annoying. On my main account I actually delete anyone from my friends list who uses such display names and when they ask why I tell them because I don't interact with immature people.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4731 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.