Why do I crash after staying in a sim for awhile and try to tp to another sim?

Spice Hancroft

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

I can think of 2 things. And, btw, it's not just you. I've had it happen to me a lot lately.

One is you've had what I call a silent disconnect. You appear to be connected to SL but you really aren't. If you can only turn from side to side and can't walk forward, you're partially disconnected and will soon be totally disconnected.

The other is...Although your appear to be constantly connected, there is a short window of time, about 10 seconds or so, every 15 minutes or so where you aren't actually connected. If you try to do anything during that time, you'll get disconnected. That window is actually helpful. If you get ghosted, ie you're logged out on your end but other stil see you on the sim, that window of time is vital. Ghosting doesn't happen much anymore but it still does occasionally. If you get ghosted, you need to keep trying to log in in a different sim than where you crashed. It's a good idea to have favorite that you can choose on your login screen just for that purpose. You keep trying to log in as fast as you can. You'll hit that window and be able to log in. At that point, you need to go back to the sim you ghosted on. As soon as you enter it, the ghost will be gone. If you don't, it's possible that when you log out, your ghost will still be there. It's the oddest thing to see someone ghosted in front of you then see them enter from a neighboring sim and the ghost disappear.

Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

Option 3 is that most sl viewers temd to suffer a bit of 'memory leak' memory usage increases the longer you are online, and after a long time on line attempts to TP can cause problems, non-paged pool mem usage rockets from values measured in kb, to one or more gb... boom, the viewer lags so bad that SL decides you are not there and you get logged out in TP.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2618 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.