Why did everyone's Metamonics Translators stop working?? How do we get a free translator that works?

Rebecca Solari

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The Metanomics Translator worked yesterday and today it does not work. Will it resume?

I received a good in-world answer and found out that the service is discontinued. And thank you for your answers.

I found the translation section in my Firestorm viewer... pref/chat/text input/translations.... however I am having trouble now trying to get a BING AppID. I searched google for that ;)) and found a solution that was not a solution. The page they sent to was a page where you had to put the Bing Link on your own website. What I really need now is a BING AppID. People who seem to know how to get one don't seem to be able to explain how to anyone else. And It was GREAT news discovering that SL may still be able to produce another good free translator. Thanks to all of you good people.

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

Firestorm has a built in translator that will automatically translate chat into the language you choose.  If you choose the Bing version it's free, the Google version has a fee.  I've never used it so I can't vouch for it. But you could try it.  I'm not sure if it will translate your replys either.

• Like 3

Unfortunately there are no good translators for SL. See:

Second Life Free Language Translator

Update on Metanomics Translator

Second Life Translator Broke?

For now the viewer translation system is broken. You will see in the articles that a JIRA has been filed and taken up by the Lab. They are aware of the problem and I expect a fix. But, no idea of when.

You will also see I did an estimate of what it would cost me to use Google's paid service based on my actual chat. I assumed I would translate 100% of all Local Chat, which would never happen in my case. My cost would be something less than US$10 per year.

I would fall into the free zone for both Bing and Google. So, once the Viewers work with the new Bing and Google translation API's, we should have free transation.

Also, you may find that your Metanomics translator will start working again. It seems there is some limit that ressets monthly. But, I couldn't find any hard information on that point.

• Like 4

Hi Rebecca.

So many people is giving wrong information about this issue.

4 days ago all the translators stopped working, this is for a change in the google translator website, thats all, google translator is a free tool, they are not charging for use this service.

many people says google "banned" SL to access his service, this is false, the translators can't access the service because the website structure changed.

There are peopl who says the translator creators are guilty, this is not true, they can't do anything if google change the system.

I made a free translator, its very basic, but its free, you can use this translator while wait Metamonics works again, I think they going to fix it soon :)

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Translator/7076496

probably because of Metamonics Translators I have a problem at an entrance to shops in the world of SL:

DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="viewport" content="initial-scale=1"><title>http://www.google.com?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&hl=lv&client=ig&text=BEBA
<body style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; background-color: #fff; color: #000; padding:20px; font-size:18px;" onload="e=document.getElementById('captcha');if(e){e.focus();}">
<div style="max-width:400px;">
<hr noshade size="1" style="color:#ccc; background-color:#ccc;"><br>

To continue, please type the characters below:<br><br>
<**Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://www.google.com?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&hl=lv&client=ig&text=BEBA type="hidden" name="id" value="8835057234413457397"><input type="text

prompt please that it is necessary to do with this problem?

Thanks. possibly it is the good translator. but it doesn't translate texts of my interlocutors for me (((that is there is no back translation 

I ask the founder to give the instruction as to me to get the transfer of the text which is written in the general chat? your translator translates only my text

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.