When I log in, my internet disconnects. How can I fix it?

areraswen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Pretty simple. I log in, my internet disconnects. It's not just the game disconnecting, my whole router restarts. What in the world could be causing this, and are there any fixes? As a random note, I can run v 1.23 just fine without the disconnects... I just want the most up to date client if I can get it to work.

7 answers to this question

Hello arena. Did you try to log in a protected land like Smith or Lime? Avoid to run other programs when you try to log in. If you are use an old router, try to reconfigure it, (max idle time, connection on demand etc.). If after that you still have problem i fear that you need a new router. Contact your ISP and ask for assistance.

I have this EXACT same problem.. But I have the highest internet speed available to me.. a new router.. have tried it wireless AND plugged in.. Yet it still disconnects my modem EVERY time I log into SL.  Lastnite I even tried using an older viewer and it had me as "Away" until I logged out.  It's VERY frustrating.. Does anyone have better answers? Please!

I'm also having this issue, I have been since I first started playing a few months ago. It happened to me on Viewer 2 so I switched over to Firestorm 2.5 where the problem still persisted, and now I'm on Firestorm 3.0 but it's still there. I've spent hours searching the web and trying the "solutions," but nothing has worked.

I have:

1. Opened all necessary ports

2. Made sure that nothing else is using my web

3. Disabled my Firewall

4. Been using a hardwired connection that gets great download speeds

5. Disabled Catalyst AI and VBO's since I'm an ATI user

6. Set graphics to minimum

Nothing has worked, it's pretty frustrating. About three hours ago I had my first normal log on ever, my net didn't die a few seconds after logging on and Voice Chat was actually able to connect. The few relogs afterward just went back to the same old connection cuts.. With so many people having this problem, apparently over the course of a few years based on old google results, you'd think that there'd be a clear fix for this now. Sigh.

Lots of people seem to be having this same issue.  

I have the  problem on my PC.  I log in, my internet disconnects. It's not just the game disconnecting, my whole router disconnects. I get the message.. you have been logged out of SL...  

I have an Ethernet connection from a TalkTalk Router. I run a laptop via an Ethernet connection from the same router and that is working fine, which makes me think it's a problem with my PC.

The problem has just started and I can't pin it down to anything in particular, like a viewer update.  I tried a clean install wiping SL off my PC completely (as far as I can tell),  as one suggestion was that the cache was corrupted.  That made no difference.

I'm not very technical, so I guess that unless somebody cleverer than me can give me a simple solution, I'm locked out of SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3518 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.