Waiting For Region Handshake

Pandora0666

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4615 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ok so I have added SL to my allowed programs on my windows firewall. I have tried Un-Installing, re-installing, deleting my account, created a new account,etc. I still have the "Waiting for region handshake" message and can't log in. I have had this problem for a little while now and when I submitted a question all I got in return was a link to the "Reconfiguring your firewall" Page which didn't help. I already tried that before I submitted the question. Can any one help PLEASE!!!

8 answers to this question

Have you tried logging into a different region (sim)  If not, select a sim like Pooley or Smith from you login page and see if that makes a difference.  If you don't have the option to choose your login location, go to Me - Preferences - General tab and click on the Show at startup next to the Startup location

--Cinn

Well if the problem is "waiting for region handshake" try logging into a different region. At the bottom of the login page change the location from whatever it is now to "type name in here" and type in "Aqua" or "Glinda" or any other easy to remember to spell region and then log in. Good Luck.

• Like 1

From the KB http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Login-failure/ta-p/700109#Section_.1.1

Waiting for region handshake

The "Waiting for Region Handshake" message occurs when the Second Life Viewer does not receive an acknowledgement from the server.  The usual cause of this error is a firewall blocking UDP packets. Reconfigure your firewall to resolve this problem.

For information on how to configure firewalls, see:

I am having this same issue for three days now, and support wont even help because im not a premuim member, guess being on SL for 2 years doesnt matter to them. anyways i have tried all the fixes the website says to do, but still nothing, even tried typing in a new region, , updated my drivers, and unistalled/reinstalled, shut down modem and computer for over 10 minutes, reconfigured my firewall, and added in the ports the page tells you to do, and still nothing.... but still no one is looking into this, i have read all the past bug reports, and they think they had it fixed, sorry to say its happening again.

I even tried calling LL and they were rude to me and said they could not help me because im not a premuim member. the lady hung up on me when i tried asking if she could point me in the right direction. is someone going to look into this? and when/if they figure it out, will there be CLEAR STEPS on how to do it ourselves.

• Like 1

"Region Handshake Error"  the steps i took to fix this issue.  it took me 5 days to get back on SL, all the steps that  the SL website states, didnt work for me. so this is what you can try.  Call your internet provider and ask if your IP address changes, for some satellite providers, and wireless connections this happens each time you get online. so you will need to get a "STATIC IP ADDRESS" so it doesnt change and it wont disrupt your connection.  Even if you have been able to connect to SL for some time, sometimes more and more people are connecting to the sateliites and trying to use the same connection and this dissrupts the signal.  I hope this works for some of you having issues and are not having any luck getting help. 

Good Luck.. Katerina Serrao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4615 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.