VFS initialization error continues..

Sophiaperis31

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello everybody.

This is my third post, trying to make SL viewer to work.

SL viewer stops loading during VFS initialization.

I use GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card and Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3,
on an Intel Core Duo CPU system, 2,67GHz, 2 GB of RAM.
(from system properties)

-Actions that I have tried many times:
.Uninstall-reinstall video card drivers
.Uninstall-reinstall SL viewers
.Delete folders under Local Settings & Application Data
.Remove all programs and noMicrosoft services from windows startup
.Cleaning registry using various cleaners and uninstall-reinstall the above.
.Remove all drivers using Driver Cleaner and install newest drivers for my system.
.uninstall and reboot before each reinstall of drivers and viewers.

SL viewer still not loading.. :(

Edited:

Dilbert Dilweg, thank you for your support.
I already run as administrator.

Nyll Bergbahn, thank you for your great help and support.

Firestorm viewer also not loading.
I cannot understand what you mean by writing:
''from login page > Help > About Second Life''
so, I post here my PC specifications.
I hope you don't mind that this is a great amount of text..

Computer
Computer Type ACPI Multiprocessor PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702 (IE 8.0)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard
CPU Type DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E7300, 2666 MHz (10 x 267)
Motherboard Name Foxconn P45A (2 PCI, 2 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Eaglelake P45
DIMM1: GeIL CL5-5-5DDR2-800 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 400 MHz) (4-5-5-13 @ 333 MHz) (3-4-4-10 @ 266 MHz)
DIMM3: GeIL CL5-5-5DDR2-800
BIOS Type AMI (08/29/08)

Display
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (1024 MB)
Monitor Dell E190S [19" LCD] (M8VPV188AC7I)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio [10DE-0BEE] [NoDB]
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC888/1200 @ Intel 82801JB ICH10 - High Definition Audio Controller

Input
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

Network
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Modem Bluetooth DUN Modem
Modem Bluetooth Fax Modem

DMI
DMI BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
DMI BIOS Version 080015

Edit:

Dear Nyll Bergbahn,

The network connection used is Ethernet cable 100Mbps, directly to 24Mbps ADSL modem.
Bluetooth etc connections are disabled.

Yes, only from my office laptop I manage to use SL viewers.
Office connection is a high speed professional connection,
but I don’t know more details about that.
Office laptop is connected with ethernet cable at office network.

Edit:

OK Nyll.

Thank you for your time, dealing with this.

Edit:

Dear Nyll,

There is no Firewall at my PC neither ADSL modem.

I got some help from my bro that knows more than me
and he gave me instructions to force TCP and UDP ports
that Second Life uses, from ADSL modem to my PC IP address.
(outbound TCP access for ports 53, 80, 443, 12043, 12046 and 21002
outbound UDP for ports 53, 3478,3479,5060,5062, and 12000-29999.)

Still not working.

According to Second Life log file,
(the log file after reinstallation at first attempt to open SL viewer)
There are those errors at the end of the log file:

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

INFO: LLWindowWin32::switchContext: Drawing context is created.
WARNING: LLGLManager::initWGL: No ARB pixel format extensions
WARNING: LLGLManager::initWGL: No ARB create context extensions
WARNING: LLGLManager::initWGL: No ARB WGL PBuffer extensions
WARNING: LLGLManager::initWGL: No ARB WGL render texture extensions
WARNING: LLWindowWin32::switchContext: No wgl_ARB_pixel_format extension, using default ChoosePixelFormat!
INFO: LLWindowWin32::switchContext: GL buffer: Color Bits 32 Alpha Bits 8 Depth Bits 32
INFO: LLGLManager::initExtensions: Couldn't initialize multitexturing
INFO: LLGLManager::initExtensions: Couldn't initialize mipmap generation
INFO: LLGLManager::initExtensions: Couldn't initialize GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
INFO: LLGLManager::initExtensions: Couldn't initialize separate specular color
INFO: LLGLManager::initExtensions: Couldn't initialize anisotropic filtering
INFO: LLGLManager::initExtensions: Couldn't initialize GL_ARB_texture_compression
INFO: LLGLManager::initExtensions: Couldn't initialize GL_ARB_occlusion_query
INFO: LLGLManager::initExtensions: Couldn't initialize GL_ARB_occlusion_query2
INFO: LLGLManager::initExtensions: Couldn't initialize GL_ARB_point_parameters
INFO: LLGLManager::initExtensions: Couldn't initialize GL_ARB_shader_objects
INFO: LLGLManager::initExtensions: Couldn't initialize GL_ARB_vertex_shader
INFO: LLGLManager::initExtensions: Couldn't initialize GL_ARB_fragment_shader
INFO: LLGLManager::initExtensions: Couldn't initialize GL_EXT_blend_func_separate
INFO: LLGLManager::initExtensions: Couldn't initialize GL_ARB_draw_buffers
WARNING: LLGLManager::initGL: GL Drivers do not support GL_ARB_multitexture
WARNING: LLWindowManager::createWindow: LLWindowManager::create() : Error creating window.
WARNING: LLViewerWindow::LLViewerWindow: Failed to create window, to be shutting Down, be sure your graphics driver is updated.
WARNING: LLViewerWindow::LLViewerWindow: Unable to create window, be sure screen is set at 32-bit color in Control Panels->Display->Settings

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Also, my screen is set at 32bit color high. 

Last edit: PROBLEM SOLVED!

Dear Peggy and dear Nyll, thank you so much for your support.

I followed the route of Peggy’s thinking about a generally “system problem’ and also Nyll’s thoughts about “drivers problems” from previous installation.

I believed that this was the most realistic base of thinking, for solving my problem.

So, I started to check all my system from motherboard bases, with help from some very helpful forums and generally posts about gaming problems.
I realized that I have to check what is really active in my system and if the active drivers really effect my hardware.
I started manually to search active .dlls and I found some active .dlls that had to do with ASUS drivers of some kind.
Since I used ASUS/ATI display drivers in the past and my present display hardware is NVIDIA GeForce, that was suspicious.
I checked about those active ASUS .dlls and I realised that they represent ASUS OSD gamer utility.
Searching the net, I found out that ASUS OSD gamer has to do with 3D acceleration and openGl, for ASUS display hardware.
It was obvious that I had to uninstall this ASUS OSD gamer, because since dlls were active, were creating problems at my display system, 3D and OpenGl.
Those .dlls were generally hidden in my system and there was no way to properly uninstall all of them, without creating problems at my windows registry.
So, I searched for ASUS OSD gamer installation.
It was not possible to find the installation file at official ASUS support website.
I found at a download server a file named: GamerOSD200.rar
I downloaded the file, I performed installation and ASUS OSD gamer installed in my system.
After installation, I immediately uninstalled this ASUS OSD gamer.
After that, all ASUS and ATI dlls disappeared from my system.
Then, I removed all my display drivers and after a reboot I let Windows XP to find out about my display hardware and perform driver’s installation automatically.
Windows XP really installed drivers for GeForce GTX 550 Ti video card, founding drivers in /system32.

I reboot again, reinstall Second Life viewer and IT FINALLY WORKS!

Although I lost almost all Sunday searching about solution
and I didn’t went for swimming, living a heat wave day here in Greece,
I am very glad that I found out what was wrong.

Thank you all so much for your help
and for the time you spend about that.

Regards from Athens, Greece.

:)

• Like 2

9 answers to this question

Hi Sophia,

I read your previous edit to last post so there is no graphics card driver conflict now if you are getting to the VFS initialisation stage.  You're past the SL not recognising your graphics card or driver. VFS unfortunately is another issue. VFS stands for Virtual File System and when it comes up like this in SL loading usually means there is an issue with the SL cache and deleting the SL files in AppData Local and Roaming normally fixes the problem. Hoewever, you already deleted them.

Can you please post your full computer specs from login page > Help > About Second Life.

At this stage I suggest you try another viewer such as Firestorm for Windows from http://www.phoenixviewer.com/

Sometimes one viewer will work fine when another doesn't.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are having a terrible time with it. . I have only had this happen once and deleting the folder in the app data took care of it for me...

Have you tried installing Sl by running the exe as administrator? Might be worth a try. right click on the install EXE and run as administrator. Or try running your current install as administrator by right clicking the launch exe and run as admin.

Good Luck . I hope you get it sorted

• Like 1

Hi Sophia,

Your computer specs look fine. The CPU has SSE2 support required by SL for v2/v3 viewers and your graphics card is fine.

Can you please provide more information on your network connection. I thought bluetooth modems were for dial-up 56kb/s connections using bluetooth to connect modem to computer and that won't work for Second Life. You need a broadband connection, preferably wired. Wireless can work too but is not supported by Linden Lab as it's prone to various issues.

Edit: Were you using your office connection with your old laptop when you joined as I see you joined in April and in various groups etc.

• Like 1

Hi Sophia,

Well, that network connection is way more than SL needs so no problem there either.

I've run out of ideas other than to suggest you once again remove the folders in AppData. Ensure you restart the computer after doing so before you start the viewer again. Also, delete the Second Life Prefetch file in C > Windows > Prefetch as well just in case it is corrupted.

I'll drop a PM to a couple of other helpers who are expert  on computer issues and see if they can spot someting amiss.

• Like 1

Looks like a lot of issues with OpenGl which SL uses. Maybe the Nvidia driver has not installed correctly but you have already uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. I'm out of ideas. I've sent a PM to someone who hopefully can add some suggestions when she comes online next. :)

• Like 1

I'm going to give this my best shot.  Before I do, I have to tell you that I'm no expert by anyone's definition......almost all my experience with computers and software comes from reading on the Internet and then attempting to fix what I'm trying to fix myself (I've messed up more operating systems and programs than most people......call me brave or foolish.  I'll admit to both).

I Googled VFS (virtual file system).  I found a Wiki article that is sort of technical but not so much that it's incomprehensible.  After reading the article with your problem in mind I found two possible sources that could be at the root of the issue.  The first being that you did not say if your XP is 32 bit or 64 bit instruction set.  You're CPU is a 64 bit processor but I know XP came in both flavors (either XP Pro x32 or XP Pro x64).  That is determined by the specific XP system that was installed on the computer (either initially or by some reinstallation at a later time).  Some recovery and full license disks have both versions and some don't.......if you don't have an x64 version then I would not worry too much about this suggestion (number 1  reason is that you are not likely to find a legal copy of XP anymore since Microsoft has set a date for discontinuing support for the OS).  But, there may be an option to convert the x32 to x64 either on the recovery/license disk that you have (I know my old XP Home Premium did have that conversion....but that was years ago).  X64 systems have been around long enough now that the chances of loosing any program by making the conversion is very low........I would try that myself.

The other thing (that I do think could be a factor) is that you also did not specify if your XP Pro's file system is FAT (file allocation table) either x32 or x64 or NTSF (new technology file system).  The older Windows OS's grew up based on the ancient DOS (disk operating system) developed by IBM for the first generation PC's (personal computers) and later "improved" by Microsoft with the MS-DOS) systems.  Beginning with XP you could install either FAT or NTSF on your computer.  I initially installed FAT 32 on my old computer when I moved up to XP from Win ME then later, during one of my many re-installs of XP I went with the NTSF.........things in XP suddenly started working better and I went from wondering why everyone was so in love with XP to a believer (I actually thought XP was worse than ME which everyone hated).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_file_system

The reason I think the NTSF (if you are still on a FAT system) might be the problem is after reading the Wiki I linked to I saw that Sun Microsystems developed VFS for Unix based system (Mac and Linux for the home users) and later added support for DOS based systems (Windows).  That indicates to me that the FAT system was an after thought.  Though NTSF is not Unix based it's much more in line with the more efficient Unix systems.........plus Microsoft was well aware of the necessity to support VFS when they developed the file system (VFS wasn't even thought about when DOS came about).  Patching up software to address a problem after the fact is never as good as addressing the problem from the ground up in development.  I can't remember whether or not you can convert from FAT to NTSF without reinstalling XP (it's been years ago and when I coverted I did at a reinstallation is all I remember about making the change).

And one other suggestion that might be easier and less scary.  I pretty sure your recovery/intallation disks have an option to repair or reinstall the system.  You might want to "repair" and see if that fixes the problem.  There is always the possibility that something damaged one of the system files that a repair would fix......and that would certainly be more painless than diving in head first like I often do :).

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.  After reading all that you've done so far and nothing's worked and the fact that your problem isn't just one viewer I don't think it's a viewer problem or a driver problem.......and that leaves a system problem.  Not the best of news, I know........but I've got to be honest.  Keep in mind that XP's days are limited.  It just might be time to consider a new computer (or, at least, a new operating system).

Good luck.

• Like 1

I want to second Nyil's congraduations on resolving your problem.  And, also, a great big "Thank you" for posting what you did to fix the sort of unusual problem you have been experiencing......I'm sure your detailed avenue to the solution will be of help for others with the problem.  It's not often that people come back and post their solution to problems for the benefit of others.  If I could give you more than 1 kudo I would.  :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.