Time Zones!!! ---- Exactly where does SL use PST/PDT, or PST only, or GMT?

shug Maitland

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

SL displays PST/PDT on the clock, IMs and chat. I think events and group notices are in GMT.

Is there a complete list of what time zone is used where?

Why is there not one standard instead of confusion?

This answer should be in the Wiki somewhere but I can not find it.

7 answers to this question

SLT/PST is the standard for anything that is generated by LL, but individual people or groups may decide to post times in GMT or whatever zone is handy for most of their members and friends.  As a rule, any time that is displayed in a regular heading on your screen should be SLT/PST.  Any time reported in the body of a message or in a message heading that is created by a person (like the heading in a group message) could be in any time zone.

Yeah thats always been like that, I actually don`t even look at it anymore, its become a blindspot on notices that I ignore lol

If the notice is about an event or something, the person sending it usually puts the time in SLT in the title or notice text because everyone is on different timezones anyway.

But I do agree it is odd, thankfully its not all over the place. :)

Yes, I think that change from SLT to PST/PDT was in late 2009, but most of us who were around before then continue to use the label SLT. It's hard to break a habit, I guess. I agree that the label can be confusing, especially for those who are new to SL. My personal solution (when I remember) is to write SLT/PST so I'm covering all bases. Still, regardless of what you call it, the standard time zone for SL has always been West Coast US time.

The one 'standard' clock is the same clock that  sits on Linden Lab walls, desks, wrists and computers in San Francisco, California, USA.  So, the clock in SL is always SLT (Second Life Time) which is the same as Pacific Stnadard Time or Pacific Daylight Time (whichever exists depending upon the time of year).  It is now PDT in San Francisco.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.