Temporary prims versus rezzables?

Ariel Vuissent

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

First off, what's the difference? Particularly, what if I have a piece of furniture that rezzes other items from it? Do the items rezzed count as "temporary prims?" For example, a bed that has an option of "rezzables," where some of those rezzables are things like a nightstand, a dresser, etc. Are those "temporary prims?"

How do I tell? Is there somewhere it will tell me the items are made of temporary prims? Is there something in my "about land" that will tell me if I have temporary prims rezzed?

4 answers to this question

Depends on what you understand under "temporary prims". If you think about the prim object property temporary, then those prims do not count against the prim limit and will automatically vanish after a while (I think 60 seconds). Prims rezzed by other objects that have not the property temporary set do count against the prim limit. That is true for all rezzed objects including pose balls, not only furniture or other props. Since they are just normal prims there is no way to tell that they are rezzables.

Think what you are asking is the difference between  normally rezzed prim and temp rezzed prim.  Anserariel (did I spell that name correctly? :) ) pretty much covered that.  But what I believe you are wanting to know that is a script rezzes the temp prims and before (or at the instant) the temp prim is due to disappear the same prim is rezzed again.  Yes, some items are made that way to defeat the parcel's prim allowance.  Actually, a year or so ago such prims were a hot topic concerning sim performance.  The explanation that made to most sense to me was that temp on rezz prims did negatively effect sim performance.  Any prim rezzed takes resources to rezz in world....temporary or not.  Maybe they did not count against the prim allowance for the parcel or sim but they still were rezzed and re-rezzed before you could see that they disappeared and reappeared.  It was a form of cheating the system in my opinion and causes performance problems for the sim that they are rezzed in.......that's entirely my personal opinion.  I don't think they are "outlawed" but for performance I think they should be.

I won't use them myself.

Select the prim you're interested in, open the Edit tool (CTRL+ 3), and look to see if the Temporary box is checked.  If it is, you're looking at a temporary prim.  Otherwise, it's not.  It's that simple.  However .....

There are two special circumstances to think about, both of which make this a confusing topic.  First, an object can have a limited lifetime but not necessarily be a Temporary prim.  For example, I can write a script that deletes a prim after ten minutes, or after its owner is no longer in the area, or when a customer wants to look at a demo model of a different product. Those scripted items are designed to be expendable, but I don't want them to vanish in 50 seconds, like a Temporary prim would. So, those are permanent objects that look temporary.

Second, there are temp rezzers, which are scripted to rez a new Temporary object every 50 or 60 seconds - over and over  and over again.  Those items really are Temporary, but the temp rezzer makes them look permanent.  People create temp rezzers to get around a sim's prim limit. The maximum temporary prims allowed are based on the regular prim limit:
(regular_prim_limit - current_regular_prims) + minimum(0.5 * regular_prim_limit + 400, 1000) ,

so it's possible to push a sim beyond its 15,000 prim limit by using Temporary prims.  The sim's servers always stall a small amount every time any object is rezzed, however, so temp rezzers can greatly increase lag.  That's why many sim covenants expressly forbid their use. 

Temporary prims were originally intended for things like physical "bullets", that could be fired from a weapon, damage the target, and then self-delete, so the parcel was not littered with spent bullets using up prim count aftre a battle. When a prim has the "Temporary" attribute set, it self-deletes roughly 60 seconds after it is rezzed.

A "Temp Rezzer" is a device that uses this property as a way to cheat the prim limits on a parcel. Instead of rezzing a nightstand beside the bed, for example, it might use a temp version of the nightstand, and replace it once per minute.

You can see these types of items are in fact temporary by checking their properties with the edit tools, and seeing if the 'temporary' checkbox is checked.

Originally, using a temp-rezzer was a particularly bad cheat, because although the prims only lasted a minute, they still counted against the sim's total prim limit. It was quite possible to temp-rez an elaborate castle, using multiple temp rezzers, and to use up so many prim resources that yout neighbors could not rez what their own parcel should allow.

Today, those temp prims no longer count against the sim's prim limit, but there are still problems with temp-rezzing stuff.

A temp rezzer is rezzing that item once every minute. If it's a lot of prims, this can cause a large load on the asset resources for the area, because the simulator is constantly having to update the information on what is or is not in the area. It also causes a lot of script lag, because the rezzer is doing something every single minute.

A temp-rezzed item should not contain scripts that you need to interact with. If you try to interact with a temp item that has a script in it, the item you were interacting with is replaced by a new one every minute, and the new one has no idea what you were doing with the former copy.

If you sit on a temp-rezzed item, it doesn't vanish until you stand up again. But the temp rezzer still keeps rezzing replacement copies, overlapping what you're sitting on. So temp-rezzed furniture should be just for looks, and you can't, for practical purposes, temp-rez the pose balls for furniture.

There are some valid uses for temp-rezzers. One that comes to mind is a firefly generator, that makes less than a dozen particles that look like fireflies, and they each move around for a minute before winking out, to be replaced by new ones. If it only makes a few prims, it's not too much of a problem.

Most furniture that rezzes other props or pose balls rezzes normal items, and they do count against the prim count for the parcel. A script command called "llDie" can make a rezzed item de-rez on command, or after a set period of time elapses. For example, I made a torch that rezzes a threee-prim flame when lit. two hours after it is lit, it says in chat that the oil in the lamp has burned out, and the flame de-rezzes. No temp rezzer needed.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4500 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.