Stuck on Initializing VFS

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have two different computers this is happening to. When Second Life is loading the process gets stuck on the Initializing VFS step. This has been going on since 10pm SLT. One computer freezes there one crashes. The one that crashes tries to send an error report but says it can't connect to the server. I have internet, I can connect to this page. Is there a server down in California or something?

• Like 1

You need to clear your cache manually.

(XP) - C: - Documents and Settings - (USER NAME) - AppData - SecondLife
(Vista) - C: - Users - (USER NAME) - AppData - Local - SecondLife
(Win 7) - C: - Users - (USER NAME) - AppData - Roaming - SecondLife

Delete the contents of the folder and restart.

NOTE: You may need to go to Windows Tools > Folder Options > View & enable Show Hidden Files/Folders, in order to see AppData folder.

• Like 4

Maybe you could try manualy clearing cache,

Move the folder C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife to your desktop, Restart your PC and try loading SL again

The reason I sugest move and not delete is so you have a copy of any logs if you like to keep them , the folder will recreate itself when you start your viewer up again

• Like 4

Do you have an alt you can test with?....It would rule out whether or not it was a problem with your main account or with your connection....I assume both computers are on the same connection / router.

If the same thing happens to your alt, check your connection & restart your router (leaving it switched off for a least a minute)

I have the exact same problem.

I have been using the previous version yesterday, got the popup message saying the new version is downoladed and will install at next startup of SL, then I logged out the usual way.

Today I've started up SL, and getting stucked at "Initializing VFS"

I tried clearing the chace, uninstalling SL, manually removing every single file even remotely connected to SL, rebooted my PC, reinstalled SL and it still gets stucked at the same point.

I have tried Phoeinx viewer, it starts up without a problem, it connects to SL also without a problem, so the issue is related only to the viewer 2 series (yes I've tried reinstalling the previous version of viewer 2 series too, same effect)

Any more hints on the matter?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.