Second Life Installation Guide. PLEASE HELP ME!

eramark1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Okay. I downloaded and ectracted the Second Life tar.gz2 folder to my /home folder. I installed the game via Terminal. But the game doesent open :smileyfrustrated:. When i try to run it on terminal with ./secondlife.... it does :

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

root@mark-Lenovo-G505s:/home/mark/SecondLife# ./secondlife
64-bit Linux detected.
Multi-arch support detected.
Running from /home/mark/SecondLife
Warning: Did not register secondlife:// handler with KDE: Directory /root/.kde/share/kde4/services/ does not exist.
 - Installing menu entries in /usr/local/share/applications
bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
*** Bad shutdown ($LL_RUN_ERR). ***

You are running the Second Life Viewer on a x86_64 platform.  The
most common problems when launching the Viewer (particularly
'bin/do-not-directly-run-secondlife-bin: not found' and 'error while
loading shared libraries') may be solved by installing your Linux
distribution's 32-bit compatibility packages.
For example, on Ubuntu and other Debian-based Linuxes you might run:
$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-gtk ia32-libs-kde ia32-libs-sdl
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What should i do next? Please help me, with terminal commands or how to solve this problem. I was reading that you need to install 32-bit to play on it. I have 64 bit working with Ubuntu 14.04. LTS.

7 answers to this question

If you are going to use Linux, you need to be able to install it correctly and support it yourself.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes

You need to install he 32bit compatability package for your distro on your PC. details on the link below.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/297151/how-to-run-32-bit-programs-on-a-64-bit-system

• Like 1

Start the Ubuntu 14.04 LST packetmanager you might look for those mention in your error message. The names might be listed there, but only for migration reasons to multiarch, if not follow the link below.. I also recommend to use the proprietary drivers of your graphics card, the mesaGL driver will usualy not work very well with SL. (I don't use Unbuntu, I have Debian 7.0)

Take a look here about the 32 bit support with multiarch: http://askubuntu.com/questions/107230/what-happened-to-the-ia32-libs-package

Here's the command line that allowed me to run Second Life in 14.04 64-bit Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install lib32gcc1 libc6-i386 libxml2:i386 libxml2:i386 libglib2.0-0:i386 libglib2.0-0:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386 libpangoxft-1.0-0:i386

I also installed the following, but not sure if they were actually necessary:

sudo apt-get install lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0

• Like 1

Hi all! I had same problem in Debian 7. I have been resolving it several days and now found the solution.

You need to install ia32-libs-gtk ,

look here http://piccy.info/view3/7543361/e85024d0eea1af629d91bf0bf3ccf363/orig/

After that you need to run file "secondlife" in the terminal window as usual from corresponding directory (for example): 

nik@debian:~$ cd /home/niklance/install-folder/Second_Life_3_7_23_297296_i686

nik@debian:~/install-folder/Second_Life_3_7_23_297296_i686$ ./secondlife

A miracle happened! It works!

All the best guys!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.