SL viewer crashes at initializing VFS

Vivica Landau

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a new Lenovo T-530 laptop running Windows 7-64bit which will not run the latest SL viewer. It crashes every time at Initializing VFS. I have tried everything suggested so far such as remove the Second life folders in the App Data folders(both local and roaming), checked for updated display drivers and I've also tried the alternative viewer options with no luck. The alternative viewers have exactly the same problem. The Viewer successfully sends a crash report each time I try to run the viewer. I have also completely uninstalled and reinstalled the SL viewer several times.

Looking at the second Life Logs, most entries are info and a few are warnings. The warnings are all to do with missing files in the App Data\Users\ "roaming" folder. The only file I have in my roaming folder is settings.xml and a folder called "dictionaries"

Here are the specs of my Laptop

Lenovo T-530
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
Intel i7-3250M CPU @ 2.90 GHz
Hybrid Intel HD Graphics 4000 with nVidia NVS 5400M
Screen Resolution 1600x900
8Gb RAM
256Gb SSD

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I feel like I have tried everything that has been suggested.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I have set everything that KarenMichelle recommended and even enabled the 5400 GPU in Bios and the SL viewer still crashes. After all this I uninstalled SL viewer and reinstalled it and it still did not work. I have hit a brick wall by the looks of things. One interesting thing I have read on other forums is that some people are running SL viewer on the Intel 4000 integrated graphics successfully (albeit not being the best performance) as they do not have the nVidia 5400M option.

I guess I'll try the Lenovo forums as a last resort. Thanks again for everyones help.

3 answers to this question

Hello,

you can usually work-around the initializing VFS bug by manually purging your cache and / or wiping your settings:

• Browse to C:\Users\ USERNAME \AppData\Local, find the folder named SecondLife and delete the whole folder.
  • Browse to C:\Users\ USERNAME \AppData\Roaming, find the folder named SecondLife and delete the whole folder.
    Then try to login again.

(Make sure hidden files and folders are set to show in Windows: See http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files )

ETA: make sure to check whether you have some chatlog-files in these folders that you want to keep, before you delete them!

• Like 1

Vinica,

You need to make sure that your laptop is running in the High-End graphics mode so that the nVidia NVS 5400M is running before you enter / start SecondLife. I believe you may specify this as the default operational mode for SecondLife using the included Graphics Mode Utility. I'm sorry that the exact name of this utility escapes me.

It is set by changing the power plan on these models. Page 41 of the manual chats about this the NVIDIA Optimus Graphics feature.

http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/user_guides/t530_w530_ug_en.pdf

You have an option called the Display option that reads as follows:

The Integrated Graphics
mode will achieve longer
battery life. The Discrete
Graphics mode enhances
graphics performance.
When NVIDIA Optimus
is selected, the system
automatically switches
between discrete graphics
mode and the integrated
graphics mode depending
on the running program.

• Like 1

This seems to be one of the interesting new issues with SL.  Several times I've found that if the viewer crashes the next load goes into infinite VFS initialisation.  I don't mess about if this situation crops up, uninstall SL then delete both caches and download the viewer afresh.  It just means you have to set your settings again but after the first 6 or 7 times this becomes routine.  This was never easy software :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4103 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.