Requesting region capabilities attempt 1,2,3

FOX Frenzy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Sooooo.... Has anyone ever gotten "Requesting region capabilities attempt" when they log in, and nothing seems  to work after you log all the way in after? If you have, and have fixed this can I get some help on how to fix it also? I've tried literally anything you could probably think of... Cleared cache, different viewers (Literally all of them), rebooted the router, even switched freaking OS's... (from windows to Linux then back to windows again). I made a ticket to LL one time too and they could only help me with the suggestion of changing viewers....

as for some other things I've looked into, something about speed tests, if this is actually important, My Download Speed is 3.03mbps and my upload is .65... Again if anyone can help that would be excellent thank you for your time...

1 answer to this question

"Capabilities" is the term used to describe authorization to access key databases, like your inventory, your friends list, and your groups, among other things.  That information resides on SL's servers, and you connect to it through the server on whatever sim you happen to be visiting.  When you log in or when you move from one sim to another, you have to be granted authorization to have access through that sim's server.  The message you are getting simply says that you are not fully logged in yet, so you don't have authorization.  There are many possible reasons, including problems with the server itself (hence the need for a sim restart), but they often come down to a weak Internet connection. This is not a matter of bandwidth, generally, but one of reliability.  If data are being corrupted by interference or packet loss, or if you are experiencing occasional spikes of high ping time, so that key processes time out before important data arrive, the authenication process may fail.

• If you're on wireless, switch to a dedicated LAN cable connection to your router. 
  • If it has been a while since you rebooted your router, do it now (just unplug it from the power, wait a few minutes, and plug it back in again). 
  • Consider adding a different set of DNS addresses to the ones that your ISP provided.  Google's free public DNS servers are one popular set. Here's how >>> http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/
  • If things are STILL messed up, contact your ISP. Maybe they are working on their Internet connections. Mine go down for about 20 minutes once a month or so while they are vacuuming dust out of their servers, or whatever they do.

If you want a detailed technical explanation of what "capabilities" are, see http://mrtopf.de/blog/second-life/slga-capabilities-explained-technical/

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capability_%28computers%29

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3732 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.