Recommend a high end graphics machine for SL - with all features turned on?

bucky Barkley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

[sorry if this is a repost - this part of the web site seemed to swallow the first one]

I want a machine, Windows or Mac, that can handle all SL graphics features on maximum, with a great frame rate...

What would you recommend?

I want to be able to take photos with depth of field, shadows, and blur.  My 2006 iMac wont do these ...

[ An Update -- thanks for the nod towards BOXX -- I am a diehard Mac fan, but am unsure as to whether a high end iMac is going to handle every graphics feature turned on -- the next step up from that is to go Mac Pro... on the other hand.. for that money I can really max out a Windows machine and know that there is a large pool of people in the same boat -- it is safe to say I am targeting 2000-3500 for this, if need be..  I want rapid fire snapshots to disk at high res w/shadows, depth of field, etc.. everything turned on.   Working with my 2006 iMac is like having a photographic arm tied behind my back.. I know what is possible ( Hello there, Zonja C!), but I cant do it on my machine. ]

6 answers to this question

Peewee, maybe it's just me, but when people frame a question in the manner as the one above, I assume there is no budget - they are a mac user already - a high price for a luxury item, but not a high end machine. If they want 'real' computing they can spend the same dollars for high end computing machines. What's your opinion on this?

To get what you want, you'll need to either build the computer yourself or have it custom built...........a laptop won't do.  The computer is the major factor for obtaining optimum performance in SL but it's not the only factor.  You'll also need a fast and very clean Internet connection.  You'll most likely need to reside somewhere in the United States, reasonably close to to San Francisco, CA and Dallas, TX (the two main server locations).  And you'll need to have your computer set up in such a manor that next to nothing runs in the background.

But that's the "ideal" world.  You can get by with a lot less computer with very good performance.  If you are going to demand high frame rates, then you are going to have to spend quite a sum on a graphics card (and a high speed CPU).  I'm not sure what you would call high frame rates.........some would define that as anything over 35 fps and others would consider 90 fps too slow.  Most people cannot see a difference between 30 fps and 60 fps since 25 to 30 delivers fluid motion video.

We need to know your budget.  You're probably looking at anywhere from $1500 and $3000 USD depending on who you purchase the computer from and just how far you go with hardware choices.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.