Photo Quality.

Charolotte Caxton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello. I just recently upgraded my SL experience with a new machine. I can now experience SL on Ultra. Wow. Question is, when I take photos and save them to my hard drive, zooming in on them makes them look pixilated. Solutions/tips? Thanks.

Edit: I'm using Viewer 2.5.2 (newest official viewer atm)

9 answers to this question

Torley Linden has a good page on taking snapshots here, although not updated for Viewer 2.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Taking_snapshots

Turning on High-res Snapshot in the Advanced Menu (CTRL+ALT+D for Advanced Menu) only affects Snapshots to Disk and will do absolutely nothing for photos taken using the Take Snapshot window and controls.

First then, Snapshot to Disk. and how to activate Snapshot to Disk now as FIle > Snapshot to Disk is a Viewer 1 option removed from Viewer2. Two ways, one is selecting Advanced > Shortcuts > Snapshot to Disk., the other is using the keyboard shortcut CTRL+'.

Using High-res Snapshots and CTRL+' (or via menu) will produce a photo four times the screen resolution of your monitor so a far larger dimension and less pixellated photo than a simple screen resolution photo. For example, uncheck High-res snapshot and press CTRL+' to take a snapshot. It will save automatically to your hard drive as Snapshot _001 unless you save as a name. Hover your cursor over the file name or click it and note the dimensions, for example 1280 x 962. Now activate High-res Snapshot and press CTRL+'. Note file size is now four times larger at 2560 x 1924.

To best control the quality of photos use the Take Snapshot window and select larger size photos such as 1600 x 1200 or set your own in Custom.

A common misconception is that selecting High-res Snapshots somehow creates high-res photos when using the Take Snapshot window. In fact, it has no effect at all and is purely for the quick Snapshot to Disk option.

You may also like to experiment with Lighting and Shadows and Global Illumination for some great photos. Lighting and Shadows will greatly reduce FPS but wonderful for photos. Niran's thread on Kirstens forum provides some interesting suggestions for photos using these options which you may care to read.

http://www.kirstensviewer.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=573

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.