My in-world destination search doesn't work. I have disabled my firewalls and deactivated my virus.

Cazzaundra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've been a member for 2 days and it has never worked. I have reloaded again and again. I get a blank screen with the following message: host not found. Also at the top, in the address bar, it says: failed loading page. I have deactivated my virus protection and also my firewalls with zero results. Does anyone have an answer? 

3 answers to this question

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but it sounds as if you are trying to reach a Destination from a web site.  Don't do that, or at least don;t do that until your web browser knows what to do with a SLURL.  The best way to go to a destination is to log in to Second Life the normal way, by clicking the viewer's icon on your desktop, and then click the Destinations button in your viewer.

If you want to teach your browser what to do with a SLURL -- some viewers will teach it automatically -- you can use the SLURL_Proxy app.

• Like 1

Don't disable your firewalls and antivirus!  It's dangerous to be connected to the internet without them.  Instead, make sure your antivirus knows that SL is a trusted application, and see here for how to configure your firewalls: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-Second-Life-with-a-firewall/ta-p/1304539

A Host Not Foiund error isn't a problem with Second Life per se, but something messed up in your internet connection settings.  First, make sure that you can connect to other web sites.  Then, check the Grid Status on your Dashboard page to make sure that there aren't any problems on Second Life's end of things.

If those are OK, then try adding the Free Google DNS servers to your connection setup.  See here for details: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Also, check your Preferences.  Somewhere in there is a setting for whether you want to use the built in browser or an external browser.  Whatever it is set to, try the opposite.

EDIT: And, as Rolig says, if you are trying to get into SL by clicking a button that opens a SLURL window, don't do that yet.  Open your viewer software and log in from there.  It's possible to log in from an external link, but you have to be sure your viewer and browser are properly set up to do that first.

• Like 1

Please make sure that the SLPlugin(.exe) runs. If not, reinstall the viewer of your choice and take it off the scan of the anti virus software (take it off anyway, because it can make much hassle). Other issues can be a slow or not stable connection. Or just the servers are down for some reason.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.