My SL screen turns white and says not responding.

Adamantite Nikolaidis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3842 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My SL screen turns white and says not responding. Then I have to manually close it and relog. I'm running on a PC with Windows 8 64-bit, an Intel Core i7 CPU 860 2.80GHz, and an ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series graphics card. My graphics card drivers are also up to date. This happens in Firestorm and Singularity. I switched to Windows 8 a few months ago from Windows 7 and everything was fine before that. Could this be due to me using Windows 8, or is it my graphics card?

3 answers to this question

There's a good chance that it's your ATI/AMD graphics card.  Many people in SL have a hard time with ATI graphics.  Counter-intuitively, it sometimes helps to install an older set of drivers instead of using the most up-to date ones.  Before you do that, you might try to see in disabling  AI in Catalyst makes a difference.  It sometimes does.

• Disable AI in Catalyst:
    • Right click on your desktop (or right click the ATI logo in the bottom right tray) and select Catalyst Control Center;
    • In catalyst control center go to the advanced options menu;
    • Then click on the 3D tab on the left side. Catalyst A.I. will be amongst the labels there;
    • Tick the box next to 'Disable Catalyst A.I.'
  • Like 1

The most common problems with SL result from using a wifi internet connection instead of wired.  Slow/patchy communications with the SL servers can result in freezes like this.  That said, if your old machine was fine then presumably your connection is too - which, yes, leaves the graphics card as the prime suspect.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3842 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.