I keep crashing and Ariel "answer" is not an answer

chesterburnett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I KEEP CRASHING LIKE YESTERDAY AT JUNKYARD BLUES CLUB

I'M A LONG TIME SL DJ AND 7 TIMES CRASHED YESTERDAY IN 2 HOURS

I HAVE NEW COMPUTER 6 MONTHS AGO AND DJ EUIPMENT AND MY

ENCODER IS UP TO DATE AND i'VE A NEW STREAM AND THE ABSOLUTE

LASTEST SECOND LIFE VIEWER SO I'M GOOD BUT SOMETHINGS WRONG

ON SL TO CAUSE THIS.ITS REDICULOUS AND SOME OTHERS HAVE SAID

THEY HAVE HAD SOME SIMILAR ISSUES.I DONT DESIRE SUPPOSE ANSWERS

"WELL MAYBE IT'LL GET FIXED" ETC. i THINK AFTER 12 YRS SL SHOULD WORK!

I'M RUNNING WINDOWS,MY NET CONNECTION IS A CABLE NOT DISH,HAVENT HAD

PROBLEMS IN 4 YRS ON SL TIL LAST WEEK-STARTED WITH A FEW FREEZES THEN CRASH

WITH A NOTE SAYING DARN YOUVE BEEN LOGGED OUT OF SL AND THIS REGION MAY BE

EXPERIENCING CONNECTION ISSUES. BUT CRASHES MUCH MORE FREQUENT EA DAY

4 answers to this question

Continuation of https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/I-keep-crashing/qaq-p/2951206.

This is a resident-to-resident Answers site.  Lindens never come here.  We do our best to help explain how SL works (or, more often, figure out why it doesn't work), but we don't have a crystal ball.  With the information you have provided, for example, we can't guess whether you have crashed or, in fact, have disconnected.  It would help to know whether you are receiving any error messages and exactly what they say.  Knowing what happens just before you "crash" or anything else about the circumstances would also be helpful.  In addition, it would help to know what type of computer you are using and how you are connected to the Internet.  You can copy/paste that information from Help >>. About Second Life in your viewer.

If you want to provide extra information or need to clarify your question, click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT. Please do not start a new thread. Doing that makes it hard for us to see what other people have already suggested, and it pushes other residents' questions off the page.

• Like 2

What you are describing sounds like a connection issue, not a problem at your end or the SL server end.  Try the following:

1.  Turn off your internet modem and router.  Wait a couple of minutes.  Turn them back on and let them reboot.  If that doesn't help, then

2.  Try switching to the free public Google DNS servers.  See here:  https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using  If that doesn't help, then 

3.  See this link for other things to investigate: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

chesterburnett wrote:[ .... ]-STARTED WITH A FEW FREEZES THEN CRASH

WITH A NOTE SAYING DARN YOUVE BEEN LOGGED OUT OF SL AND THIS REGION MAY BE

EXPERIENCING CONNECTION ISSUES. BUT CRASHES MUCH MORE FREQUENT EA DAY

Excellent.  Thank you for that helpful information.  You are not crashing at all.  You are disconnecting.  If you crash, you will never get a message from the SL servers.  It will say "You have been logged out of SL" when your viewer and the SL servers are losing the connection between them.  Either the region's servers are having problems, or your own Internet connection is weak and unreliable.  If nobody else around you is also disconnecting, it's definitely your connection.  The bandwidth is not an issue.  Reliability is.  You are losing data or there is a delay in sending or receiving signals.  SL viewers are very picky, so they cannot tolerate unreliable connections.  Follow the advice that Lindal Kidd posted in her reply to you.  That should clear up the problem.

Oh, and avoid using wireless.  Many people have no problem at all with wireless in SL, but Linden Lab does not support it.  See https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Wifi-and-satellite-connections/ta-p/1296823

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3192 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.