I can't teleport, my landmarks, friends and inventory are on hold, what can i do?

sickofbeingreported

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

today i tried to log in, and suddenly noticed that I'm a cloud, when i tried to change my body shape and clothing i noticed that my inventory is not complete, can't find my land marks, in my friends list all the names are still (loading) and I can't IM anyone, I can't teleport out of my last location and if i try, the system crashes, what could it be? and what can i do? thanks for your time 

5 answers to this question

You are not logging in completely, so the SL servers are not able to connect you to the databases that hold your inventory, your appearance data, or your friends list and groups list.  This is a collection of database connections that are called "region capabilities".  Without them, you are dead in the water.   Usually, the cause is a crummy Internet connection.  That has nothing to do with your bandwidth.  SL can run quite well with a surprisingly narrow bandwidth.  If your connection is not reliable, however, your viewer and the servers won't be in sync for the continuous stream of data that SL relies on.  A connection that drops data packets or has unexpected slow periods will have heavy lag and will often crash frequently or fail to connect at all. 

So, avoid wireless or satellite connections (see https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Wifi-and-satellite-connections/ta-p/1296823 ) and see if you can improve reliability by rebooting both your router and your modem.  Unplug both from the power for a few minutes, then plug them back in and restart your computer.  If that does not work, consult Nalates's blog for more advanced suggestions for diagnosing and repairing your connection >>> http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

• Like 1

There are several possibilities. One is that your equipment may be failing. My router gave out unexpectedly a couple of years ago and had to be replaced. Yours might too. It happens. It might be something as simple as a bad cable connection, though, or a power cord that is lying on top of an unshielded data cable. Or your ISP could have problems. Again, after I complained to my ISP about a wonky connection a few years ago, they came out and discovered a corroded cable connection in their box at the street. The point is that most problems like the ones you have described are quite local -- in your own computer or connection. Sometimes they clear up as mysteriously as they appear. When they don't, they can be a bear to track down.

If things have worked well in the past, assume it is a transient problem. Give it 24 hours and try again. Also, log into a different region.

Restart your gateway and if you have one, your router, and computer. 

If the restart doesn't help, move on to troubleshooting your connection.

sickofbeingreported wrote:

today i tried to log in, and suddenly noticed that I'm a cloud, when i tried to change my body shape and clothing i noticed that my inventory is not complete, can't find my land marks, in my friends list all the names are still (loading) and I can't IM anyone, I can't teleport out of my last location and if i try, the system crashes, what could it be? and what can i do? thanks for your time 

Many regions had their server software updated today and a number of them appear to be having issues with what are called "capabilities" - a set of connections that have to do with friend list names, mesh, teleporting, etc. They usually clear up if you request a region restart.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3291 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.