I am looking for a new laptop...wondering what the best graphic card is to run sl...

Lisa Zamarung

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

what is better Amd Radeon or Nvidia? I am looking at a pc with nvidia gtx560 or one with Radeo 7470?

ASUS G74SX-TH71 Notebook PC - Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, Blu-Ray Player, 3GB Nvidia GTX560M, 17.3" Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Black

HP Pavilion dv7-6c80us Notebook Intel Core i7 2670QM(2.20GHz) 17.3" 8GB Memory DDR3 750GB HDD 5400rpm BD Combo AMD Radeon HD 7470M

TOSHIBA Qosmio X775-Q7272 Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 17.3" 6GB Memory 2 x 500GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M Notebook

3 answers to this question

Hello Lisa and welcome to SL Forums. Your question is so general. Some residents (like me) prefer Nvidia, some others Amd. If you have in your mind specific series you can post them here and we will try to help you.  Basically most graphics card a year or two old from either ATI or NVIDIA will run SL, but as usually the newer the better.

Take LoveAngels advice and find a few you like the sound of and come back for advice specific to the cards.

I can only add that while there used to be issues with AMD/ATI cards in the past, they seem to be supported much better these days. A while ago, I don't think it was possible to get shadows from a AMD card, but you could using a Nvidia card. These days both can do shadows. Other issues that used to affect AMD cards seems to be gone as well.

But I'm no expert, so perhaps someone else can provide better information on these things...

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4474 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.