How does the Group Liability function work? Does it involve the fee for Show in Search?

Dulcinea Andretti

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm a land manager and am wondering if the L$30/wk fee for a parcel to be Shown in Search is what is considered as the Liability for the Group Liabilities and Dividends function? If so, how is that spread among the group? For example: Tenant wants his parcel (just rented to him, not sold to him) to show up in the Search, but Owner does not want to be the one to pay for that. Will allowing Tenant the Group Liabilties and Divedends ability mean the fee comes from the Tenant's L$ rather than the Owner?

5 answers to this question

The Group Liability function is pretty simple in execution:

Basically this "Permission" when assigned to a Role, allows all group members in that Role to participate in all the Liabilities [Expenses] and Dividends [income that the Group incurs.

So, for a Group that is also a Land/Parcel Management Group, your L$30/wk fee to list any particular parcel it is shared by all members in the group that have the Group Liability [ {X} Pay group liabilities and receive group dividends ] permissions set.

Your tenant is leasing the parcel from you in any case so the distinction in regards to "Owning" the parcel is nonsense. All they are doing is creating a situation whereby they have less control of the parcel they lease. By all means, let the tenant "Buy for Group" the parcel. All this does is transfers control to the lessor and allows them to manage the advertising expenses on their parcel without affecting others in the more general Land Management group of the Region Owner.

The Region Owner does not lose their overall ownership of the parcel and they can reclaim it at any time. Mind you this works for Full Regions and Homestead Regions and Mainland Regions where the Region is owned and managed by an Estate Owner.

MAINLAND:  If you are in a situation where you own a part of a Mainland Region [Parcel] and you are sub-letting [making more parcels within the initial parcel] parcels to tenants then you have a much more difficult management exercise. In this case you need to Create and Own a unique Land Group for that parcel that you then invite/allow your tenant to also participate in it as an Officer. This allows your tenant to have some control over the access to their parcel. You will both then end up sharing the expense of the L$30/wk Listing Fee. But remember, in this scenario, all expenses that the Land Group incurs, you as the real parcel owner will be paying 1/2 of. You can recover your co-payment by charging him an extra L$15/wk.

• Like 2

The $30 a week search/places ad distributes evenly to all members of the group ONLY if you check off the ability or power that everyone in the group has (such as "everyone" or "tenant").

Another way to put it is that only if you check off only the officers of the group, say, will they all pay the fee, leaving the tenants without any fee. So if you have 5 officers, they will each pay $6 a week for one store that has a $30 ad.

I suppose the way to create a situation where only that tenant pays that fee is to create a special role just for him, like "Store 1 Tenant", and check off "pays group liabilities" only for him. Then it will only debit from him. To be honest, I haven't tried that.

I'm thinking that if you have 6 tenants each of whom has a $30/ad, which is $180/wk, and you put them all in a "store renters" role with that liability checked off, they will all be debited $30.

I prefer to distribute the cost of all lots for everyone to the entire group and then have no one pay the $30/fee. It's just how I do it. That means there's a $2 or $4 fee per person which is part of their rent. They all benefit from the stores near their rentals and they all benefit themselves from having no $30 fee, and instead having that included in the rent. While this means some people with no stores or who never shop at those stores never benefit, there's another advantage: in an open group, it means no one stays there unless they are renting or a partner.

Few landlords do it this way, but I find the overwhelming majority of tenants prefer cheaper rent and a low fee like this than higher rent.

The suggestion: "I suppose the way to create a situation where only that tenant pays that fee is to create a special role just for him, like "Store 1 Tenant", and check off "pays group liabilities" only for him. Then it will only debit from him. To be honest, I haven't tried that.": does not work.

The Group Liability Permission is always on for the [Land] Group Owner Role and can not be turned off by design.

If you are renting out MAINLAND, do not follow KarenMichelle's suggestion to let the tenant buy the parcel, either as an individual or for a group.  As she says, that only applies to Private Estate regions.

I rent out Mainland.  If one of my tenants wants their parcel to show in Search, I would simply increase their rent by $L30 per week and set that up for them in the parcel settings.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3188 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.