How do i make a secondlife video

misty Redyard

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

There is no built in function to do that, you need a separate screen video recorder. Somebody else is likely to post more specific recommendations here but a Google search for "Video Capture Software" should bring up a ferw good alternatives.

I use an inexpensive program called FRAPS to record video of my viewer window.  If you have an NVIDIA GeForce graphics card, the latest software package comes with the ability to record videos and screenshots from your games and share them on Google, Imgur, or YouTube.  Open GeForce Experience, and click the Settings (gear) icon, then click Share to get to where you set up and use the recording features.  However, I have not tried this myself.

A very useful accessory for video work is the Space Navigator 3D mouse by 3D Connexion.  This allows you to "fly" your point of view quite smoothly.

Remember to detach your HUDs and close chat and other interface windows.

Once you have recorded some video, you'll want to edit it, to add narration, background music, and titles, and to cut out poor or boring bits and put together the good clips to tell your story.  The "Movie Maker" utility that comes with Windows provides basic video editing tools.  You may want to improve on these by getting a video editing program with more functionality.  However, full featured editors like Adobe Premiere and Sony Vegas aren't cheap...and they are probably overkill for most people.

Want some inspiration?  Winter Akiri has used Second Life to tell the stories of some famous people in aviation, such as Chuck Yeager and Hanna Rausch.  Pooky Media has made some outstanding videos with and about Second Life, especially "A Year in the Life".  You can find them both on YouTube.

Want some tips?  Watch any popular commercial, network TV show, or movie.  Note how short most of the clips are.  I mean it.  Start counting to yourself at the start of a clip.  I'll bet you don't find many that are as long as ten seconds...and most are just a second or two, these fast-paced modern days.  Also note how most transitions between clips are just "cuts".  A cut is the simplest transition, and it's also the least jarring (unless you do it wrong).  Want to see a really brilliant cut?  Watch the song "Let it Go" from the Disney movie "Frozen".  At one point, Elsa unfastens her cloak and it blows away in the wind.  The camera pans to follow it and CUT to a long aerial shot of Elsa as she walks through the snow.  Note how the point of interest (Elsa) is exactly where the cloak was at the end of the preceding clip.  The cut is also timed perfectly on the beat of the music.

Dissolves are used to imply a transition in time or location.  There are thousands of fancier transitions, but simple cuts, dissolves, and a fade in and fade to black will cover 99% of what you need.

Speaking of music, let's go back to that song from "Frozen" for a moment.  Look at the part as Elsa runs up the ice stairway.  She's singing the chorus.  "Let it go...let it go!  I am one with the wind and sky..."  Both the image and the music show she's broken free and she's flying.  This culminates at the head of the stair, with "Here I stand, and here I stay," as she stamps her foot down and begins to build an ice palace.  Now the music goes into a somewhat softer bridge...and the visuals mirror that change in intensity.  We shift to longer shots of Elsa, or a view of her from behind.  The focus is on the castle, not Elsa, as the camera pans up to show the roof and the great ice chandelier forming.  Then, as the music builds back to another crescendo, the camera pans down to Elsa again and then CUT to a closeup as she declares a break with her past and throws away her crown, claiming her magic instead.  This is artistry!

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.