How do I activate a group tag?

HeavensDew

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1173 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

12 answers to this question

Irene has given you the right answer, but here is a little additional information.

You may belong to up to 42 groups.  At any one time, you can have any one, or none, of these groups "active".  Active means that the group is shown in boldfface type in your groups list, and that the group tag is shown in the name balloon over your head.  Many activities, such as getting a group gift at a store or rezzing objects on group-owned land, require you to have a particular group active.

If it is not highlighted, then the group is already active. If the tag over your head is not displaying the message that you expect, open the group profile and look at the Title: menu on the General page. You may have more than one choice for the tag message because you have more than one role in the group.

27 minutes ago, JordonBanks said:

Something I found out (and I think I am right on this - but happy to be corrected if I am just being a dummy?)  But I noticed that if you mark a group you are a member of to now show in your profile, then no one will see you are member of that group if they view your profile.  HOWEVER if you make that group active, then that will be seen above your head, despite you being a member of that group 'hidden' in your profile.  

To me that kind of defeats the point of not showing membership of a group in your profile - if actually everyone can still see you are part of it, in  a big bubble above your head, if you make it active..  And (as a noob) I wish I had been aware of sooner aware of.

While this is true, usually the only time I actually need to activate a group tag is for stores and their group gifts or discounts.  Some venues do require you activate the tag to enter but then everyone there would already know you are a member because you are there.

You can also start a new question or discussion instead of digging up old threads.  Some people dislike that.

Edited by RowanMinx

4 minutes ago, RowanMinx said:

While this is true, usually the only time I actually need to activate a group tag is for stores and their group gifts or discounts.  Some venues do require you activate the tag to enter but then everyone there would already know you are a member because you are there.

You can also start a new question or discussion instead of digging up old threads.  Some people dislike that.

Thanks. Makes sense 🙂

(and , I was happy to add to this post, regardless of it being a year old.  I didn't 'dig it' it up as such.  It came up very quickly and easily., and it was was still relevant to me, and I felt it valid to add a contribution to the topic, which may be of benefit to other noobs like me, who find it in the exact same way I did.  (not sure I understand why anyone 'wouldn't like that'?. #Confused?) 🙂

Thanks again

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JordonBanks said:

not sure I understand why anyone 'wouldn't like that'?. #Confused?

Because someone else doing a search for an answer to your question won't find it, since it is buried in a vaguely related thread.  It's always best to stay on topic in a single thread.  On a related note, old threads often have old information (outdated, no longer relevant, ... ).  Adding a new note to an old thread can end up confusing people who find it later and don't know which parts of the thread to take seriously.  In any case, it's not a venial sin but Rowan's right; it's almost always a good idea to start a new thread if you have a new question.

45 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Because someone else doing a search for an answer to your question won't find it, since it is buried in a vaguely related thread.  It's always best to stay on topic in a single thread.  On a related note, old threads often have old information (outdated, no longer relevant, ... ).  Adding a new note to an old thread can end up confusing people who find it later and don't know which parts of the thread to take seriously.  In any case, it's not a venial sin but Rowan's right; it's almost always a good idea to start a new thread if you have a new question.

I didn't have a new question.  I was adding a comment/opinion/personal thought to the thread.  But perhaps it would be best all round if the owners of the second life forum just closed old threads then, if it's such an issue to add to them. 🙂

Edited by JordonBanks

6 minutes ago, JordonBanks said:

But perhaps it would be best all round if the owners of the second life forum just closed old threads then, if it's such an issue to add to them. 🙂

Heh.  Every once in a while someone suggests that, but the downside is that many old threads contain perfectly good information.  Even the ones that have aged poorly provide an archival view of where we have been.  Linden Lab seems to feel the same way, since they only seem to close threads when participants have violated the Community Guidelines.   It's hard to win, regardless of which side of the issue you are on, but you did ask.  My own personal rules are:

1. Stay on topic and don't add to threads that have been dormant for a year or more, and

2. Don't believe everything that you read in a thread that is more than a year old.

Those rules have served me well for 14 years, but they are just my own guidelines.  I like to avoid getting confused or confusing other people.  Your mileage may vary. ;) 

• Like 1

Something I found out (and I think I am right on this - but happy to be corrected if I am just being a dummy?)  But I noticed that if you mark a group you are a member of to now show in your profile, then no one will see you are member of that group if they view your profile.  HOWEVER if you make that group active, then that will be seen above your head, despite you being a member of that group 'hidden' in your profile.  

To me that kind of defeats the point of not showing membership of a group in your profile - if actually everyone can still see you are part of it, in  a big bubble above your head, if you make it active..  And (as a noob) I wish I had been aware of sooner aware of.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1173 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.