HELP! I can't hear the teacher..... again

MissLissaDay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ok.... I've been having this issue ever since I started going on SL a few weeks ago, it's getting really old and I'd like to resolve it. I have voice enabled, my internet connection it working and everything. 

So this is the gist, I can hear people fine using voice any where else in SL except were we are for talks. Problem is no one but me is having the problem of hearing the teacher, they all hear him just fine. I see myself with a white dot over my head but no one in the group including the teacher has a white dot over their head but to everyone else I'm the one with no dot over my head. I switched over to the Phoenix viewer this helped for a short period of time the audio came in choppy but I could at least hear! But now that's not even working anymore. And even when I was using the Phoenix viewer I had to do a thousand things to get it to work every single time I log in, having  relog at least 4 or 5 times to get audio, emptying cache, toggling voice on and off ect.

Things I've tried that have not worked:

1) I've tried rebooting SL

2) I've tried rebooting my computer

3) emptying SL cache

4) changing avatars

5) disabling voice in Preferences → Sound & Media -> Voice Settings, hitting apply, waiting a minute and then enabling voice and hitting apply

6) using the SL beta viewer

7) seeing if the input/output was working

8) deleting and reinstalling SL

9) closing all other applications except SL

10) Changing to a 3rd party viewer

T_T ...... pleassssse help

--------------------

So far, I haven’t had any idea as what the problem was or what information I needed to give. I don’t see the point in giving random information especially when I’m only slightly less that clueless when it comes to SL(I'm a total noob to SL, not that good with computers either). I’m more than happy to give any information that is asked of me.  :matte-motes-smile:

I use xfinity internet with a cable modem I use wifi to connect to the internet. Even if it is SLVoice being unreliable why am I the only one having the problem? If it was just unreliable when I was having a problem the other people there would be having a problem as well....no?

On a side note if all you have to add is that I'm screwed could just not anwser... sigh....

2 answers to this question

So far, in all your threads that I've seen, I haven't noticed ANY technical details about your computer.  Use Options > Edit to add some here, please don't keep starting new threads.

What internet connection do you have?  If you are using wireless, satellite or mobile, in increasing order of likely lag then it is very probable that it simply can't cope with the real-time nature of voice chat.

In any case voice has never been a particularly reliable feature of SL which is itself known for its unreliability.  Looks like you're screwed unless the teacher wants to help out.  What would he do if he had a deaf student?  That's one of the reasons voice is not taken seriously as a primary means of VR communication.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4376 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.