Graphics Card Error Message

Kikkles Capelo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Thanks for your response; however, it was working fairly well and then I updated a driver on 3-16-12 and got the "unknown graphics card" message.

There are no new drivers for my graphics card. Any other suggestions?

Why am I suddenly getting a message that my graphics card is unknown to Second Life at this time?

I just had a Nvidia GeForce GT520 installed and it was recommended by Second Life and worked fine before - well not "fine" but certainly more do-able than it's working now. lol

2 answers to this question

Assuming that the graphics card is installed properly and is working well for other applications, the only thing I can suggest is that your viewer is sending the login servers a bogus message.  You can workaround that login test by adding a small command line switch to your login procedure.

1. Find the shortcut to your Second Life viewer, on your desktop somewhere.

2. Right click it and select Properties >> Shortcut.

3. In the Target box, you'll see the path to your viewer, followed by one or more command strings. You might see  --set InstallLanguage en, for example.  Add --noprobe to that list and close the window.  

When you log in next time, the viewer will ignore the compatability test.  If your card really is OK, SL will launch.  If not,.... there's something wrong, and I don't know what it is.

Incdentally, if you are on a Mac, you can do the same thing ........

1. Right-click or Control+Click on the Second Life icon and select Show Package Contents.
  2. Browse from there to Contents > Resources.
  3. Look for a file called arguments.txt. If it does not exist, create it. The full path is Second Life.app/Contents/Resources/arguments.txt.
  4. Inside arguments.txt, add any command line arguments you want, one per line. (in this case, --noprobe )

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.