Anyone ever swap a graphics card and then only OnLive mode worked not normal mode anymore?Why'sThat?

John Duke

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I asked several times in trouble ticket areas but got nothing but quotes from their proper login procedure.

It's real simple.  I bought a bottom shelf Gateway 2 years ago at walmart and it worked fine and still does. I got one for me and one for wife so i have a testbed to compare. I kekep them identical in configuration.

On mine, since i'm 2 years behind the curve, i was able to score a decent graphic ard upgrade for cheap so i bought a  EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB GDDR5 64bit DVI/HDMI/VGA Low Profile Graphics Card 02G-P3-3733-KR

and put it in. Works great with world of tanks and all kinds of **bleep** but for some reason my computer bombs out when it tries to log into zone of land in SL....anywwhere doesn't matter.

Get THIS:  SL ONLIVE WORKS?!.

I believe, after doign all the usual tests and please don't parrot the obvious stuff i'mlooking for advanced anwers here. I've eeven got a Vista machine sitting right here on the same router tallking just fine to SL and i disabled my entire firewall temporarily jus ton the off chance that was it. Also tried changing/spoofing my mac address, this isn't my first rodeo...... SO....., i blieve that, since changing significant hardware changes the identification footprint of your computer, that their network is rejecting me.  I also cleared my dns caches then tried fresh from new rebots, change dout EVERy cach, also wen tinto the hidden files in teh roaming area that hide your parameter data from the user.  

So anyway since i changed the signiature of my mahine, I bedlieve their network is seeing me as a prrevious customer that once hacked them or was flagged or maybe just ..whatever.

But I can't get these ....... (insert plurals derrogative here) to talk to me on that level.
SO then taht brings the question up why it would work on the sl Onlive?  SL Onlive dosn't check for those footprints or if it does its in a dfferent way.

SO what i d since Onlive doesn't support voicechat yet anyhow, I 2-box, and use the other one for voice and then use my primary  real surfing.

The Onlive oncept is really badass (though not new) and I havea  script for it... but it doesn't run voicechat yet and i still would like to be able to log in normal so  dont have to 2-box to voicechat.... otherwise frankly i wouldnt care.

And that gaphics card? which increased my frame rate by 300% (like i said i was behind the curve) in world of tanks.....was only $50.00 :)

Well tahts my story and this is my last shot at this. The give a **bleep** factor is dwindling but if they can't handle this crisis now whathaps in the future;.

John Duke

3 answers to this question

Hi John,

Changing your graphics card does not change the "identification footprint" of your computer in any way that LL detects. The only banning they do is either by account name, IP address or MAC address. Changing your graphics card changes none of those things. Had you been banned, you'd not even get to the point where your computer could bomb, you'd simply not be able to log in, and would get a message saying SL is not accessible from your machine.

The reason SL Go worked for you (and no longer will, as OnLine vanished yesterday after being absorbed by Sony) is that when using it, your computer was really doing nothing more than streaming video to your screen. Even phones can do that without issue. And that was the entire reason for SL Go's being, to allow access to SL from devices without sufficient graphics horsepower.

So, your crashing is due to something on your PC, either a damaged installation, or graphics settings that are simply beyond the reach of your new graphics card. Without knowing more about the nature of your "bomb"ing, it's difficult to suggest a remedy. Come back to edit your rant/question (via "Options" over there on the right) to tell us more about how far you get into the log-in process and what messages (error or otherwise) you see.

• Like 1

Here's a comparison of your new graphics card's performance, relative to some other popular cards.

Capture.PNG

As you can see, at $50 it is a good VALUE, but its performance is definitely not up there with the more state-of-the-art cards.

I would suggest trying a clean install of your viewer, so that anything it "knows" about your old graphics card is eliminated.  See the instructions here: https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.