Seriously, why is marketplace not policing their merchants? Appliers are NOT Fitted Mesh!!!!!!

DreaLayne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

SL Marketplace!!!

When I put fitted or fitted mesh in search. I should not get results that have mostly applier based clothing. Because APPLIERS are NOT FITTED MESH. You seriously need to police your merchants and those who have multiple breaches should be punished with a ban. They should not be putting fitted or mesh in their search terms just to get their product more views when their product is neither fitted NOR mesh.

Marketplace has one of the worst systems for narrowing down products. If they are trying to mimic online stores such as Amazon, they are way behind the curve in doing searches.  They also are so lazy, incompetent and obviously do not care about their user base, because they lack any form of actual customer service or response.

3 answers to this question

Good rant.

Unfortunately, we're all SL residents here, just like you.  Lindens never visit this resident-to-resident site, so they aren't likely to read it.  In mild defence of LL, however, I suppose I could point out that:

Linden Lab is not making any claim to be like Amazon.com.  Compared to Amazon, this is a tiny, captive market with products that are all being sold by independent merchants. 

The search function in Marketplace is indeed primitive.  It allows only a couple of very basic boolean functions (NOT, AND) and has a very simple tree structure.  Short of completely rebuilding the entire thing (maybe in Sansar?), that's not likely to improve much.  Heaven knows, it's better than it was a decade ago, but LL has neither the staff nor the money nor the incentive to make it Amazon quality. (Ok, that's not much of a defence, but it is what it is. Don't expect world-class marketing tools from a company that's not primarily in the merchandizing business.)

Merchants, as independent agents, are responsible for providing their own "Ad" copy and search keywords.  With some outstanding exceptions, most merchants are amateurs, making it up as they go along.  It's part of the appeal of SL that we are mostly amateurs. With that in mind, it makes sense to think of Marketplace as an on-line flea market or church bazaar instead of comparing it to Amazon.com.

Finally, merchants are required to follow guidelines, and customers are able to flag products that they feel are not adhering to those guidelines. Linden Lab does see those flags and act on them, if they are reasonable.  Customers can also write reviews of products that they have bought, for any future customers to read.

• Like 3

I know it is frustrating. You're right, it shouldn't be the way it is. They are working on it.

When you arrive at the market place, look at the home page and you'll see a link to the beta search engine near the top but under the logo and search fields: Try Marketplace with our new search engine! It does a better job. It isn't perfect. But, it is better.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2929 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.