Am I allowed to link to my real life website store via a clickable item in my SL store?

Ashadelle Mistwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

See https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines?  :

The following actions are disallowed. Note that these actions are disallowed by the Second Life Terms of Service, and are restated here for clarification.

• Listings for Real-World Goods or Services. The SL Marketplace is only for digital content and services that are designed and intended for use with the Second Life virtual world technology. We expressly prohibit the listing or sale of any and all goods or services designed or intended to be delivered in the real world, for example, delivered in person or mailed or shipped to a physical address, or digital content designed or intended for use exclusively outside of Second Life.
  • Like 1

Hi Ashadella,

I'm not a lawyer, but here are some observations.

Rolig cited the Marketplace listing guidelines, which pertain only to the marketplace. Although those guidelines would like you to believe that all the procriptions against linking to real-world content are restatements of actions disallowed by the SL Terms of Service, I don't think that's true. I just re-skimmed the TOS and find nothing prohibiting links to external content within SL itself.

As I understand it, you want to put out an object in your in-world store that informs people of your Etsy store. It seems to me that would be fine. If that were prohibited, SL would never have been able to attract RL businesses like Coca-Cola and Texas Instruments to set up shop in-world. Those businesses did operate here briefly years ago before discovering, as you might too, that SL is a terrible way to promote a real world business.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Whether you like the terms or not, the Marketplace listing guidelines are quite clear.  They begin with

SECOND LIFE MARKETPLACE FEE AND LISTING POLICIES

Our policy is designed to promote an informed and enjoyable trading experience for all Second Life residents. Before buying or listing items for sale on the Second Life Marketplace (SL Marketplace), please read carefully this policy and the Second Life Terms of Service. By using the SL Marketplace, you agree to both this policy and the Terms of Service.

As with any policy in SL, you may of course disregard it at your risk.  You did ask what was allowed, though .... :)

• Like 1

Yes, you can do this in an in world store, just not marketplace.  Back in the days when companies were flocking to SL to market their products this was rather common. 

Don't expect much though.  Historically even popular large companies like Adidas failed to find a market in SL.  Marketing studies that were done at the time showed that residents do not want RL intruding in their SL.  People are also distrustful of clicking links that take them to web sites that don't belong to LL as this is a common way to be phished or have malware downloaded on your computer.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.