using viewer remotely - is it possible?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I run viewer on a 13" macbook pro and it seems to work reasonably well but it gets hot and lags a little. not so much that it makes things miserable but I was hoping I could stand up a tower workstation and somehow access that computer remotely from my laptop so I can leverage the horsepower of the workstation but sit in the comfort of my living room using my laptop.  Is anyone doing this yet?  I saw something about steam link which sounds like exactly what I want to do but the sl viewer is not a steam game.  I tried VNC but it does not support sound.  the workstation is Linux Mint and I would prefer to keep it that way but if I had to go to windows I could  probably do it.  Any recommendations welcome.

thanks

-J

I can't try this personally because my Linux box is so hopelessly out of date, but Chrome Remote Desktop might be an option.

(The most recent version has a bug that broke streaming audio from Windows, which doesn't seem relevant to your configuration -- but I'm only assuming Linux audio streaming works.)

I often use Google Chrome's Remote Desktop to access my main computer from an Android phone and my HP laptop. The app is free and works well. It is a little bit of a pain to setup and f umble through the first time. After that it is easy.

I find that using SL on the laptop via Remote is marginally slower than just running SL on the Laptop. But, I can push the render quality up on the desktop and have a nicer image on the laptop than when limited by the laptops HD Graphics.

There are other remote desktop access programs. I've used a few for my self and to support clients. I've pretty much settled on Google's Remote Desktop.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.