sl viewer update

Andreaus Beck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi when i install the new update it  fails to complete and i have to abort everytime i try i keep getting an error about a crash logger or something, im also  using windows 10 which isnt mentioned in the list of operarating systems along side win 7 and 8,

any assistance would be great as i now cant use sl viewer.

Andreaus Beck wrote:

Hi when i install the new update it  fails to complete and i have to abort everytime i try i keep getting an error about a crash logger or something

That's standard procedure. Just click on the ignore-and-continue button.

What happens is that the crash logger fails to quit when you quit the SL viewer. It keep running in the background until you restart your computer and that means the isntaller can't replace ti wityh a new copy.

In any case, once you have installed a new version of the viewer, open the program files folder and just delete the win_crash_logger.exe file. It isn't doing you any good and it can seriously lag down your computer.

• Reboot your computer to make sure any stray processes from the SL viewer are gone.
  • Do not launch the SL viewer after rebooting.
  • Go to Windows control panel Add/remove programs & uninstall the SL viewer.
  • Manually download the latest viewer release from https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/ & install it.
  • Launch the viewer.

That will hopefully fix the problem & you won't have a busted install.

Don't delete the win_crash_logger.exe file.  It is used to send in automated crash reports from the viewer.  If everyone deleted their crash logger, LL wouldn't get crash reports & wouldn't be able to see crashes that needed fixing.

All your viewer crashes are kept by LL and so if you start to have trouble with the viewer crashing, support can look up your crash stacks & see what is causing the problem.  If you delete the crash logger, they cannot do this.

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

Don't delete the win_crash_logger.exe file.  It is used to send in automated crash reports from the viewer.  If everyone deleted their crash logger, LL wouldn't get crash reports & wouldn't be able to see crashes that needed fixing.

I have to disagree with you there, Whirly because:

• The crash logger does not quit when you quit the viewer
  • The crash logger uses up to 25-30% of your processor capacity even when everything runs like normal
  • The crash logger uses noticeable bandwidth even when there are no signs of crashes
  • The crash logger does not ask the user for permission to send data to the developers

Each of these points would on its own be more than enough reason to deactivate it. You don't want software as obviously dodgy as this to run on your computer if you can possibly avoid it.

Edit: Yes, I do understand that crash logs are very valuable to the viewer developers but if they want them, they have to find a proper way to get them.

I've never seen the crash logger use that much processor capacity, so I'm not sure what's wrong there.

The only thing I can think of is if you have old stuck crash logger processes, those may start chewing into the CPU.

I've been logged in ~1 hour on default LL release & the win_crash_logger is using 0% CPU.

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

I've never seen the crash logger use that much processor capacity, so I'm not sure what's wrong there.

Oh no, it does that all the time. And it's not just my computer, I've heard several others say the same. The leftover crash loggers from earlier sessions don't use any processing power though but they shouldn't be there at all. When I close the viewer, I would expect the crash logger to quit too but it doesn't always.

And of course, the moment I start walking in SL, the crash logger gets busy talking to the server. No idea why but I've noticed if it's running and it hits the firewall, ping sim time jumps up to 500-800 or even more the moment I touch an arrow key. No such problem with the crash logger disabled.

3 or 4 versions back I saw someone saying cleaning out the SL program install folder and reinstalling the viewer would speed it up. I figured that was worth a try.

I generally just install a Linden Viewer update. No uninstall, cleanup, or anything extra. I've done that for years.

When installing I would see my viewer install popping errors. I learned I  could hit ignore and when I got to the end of the install the viewer would run. 

Apparently files were  in use during the install in spite of my viewer shut down. Thus the install errors.

After I cleaned out the SL viewer program folder and reinstalled that problem of install errors stopped. And the viewr did run faster. This suggests to me that some part of the viewer was not getting updated.

I suppose some similarity to this problem is why Firestorm recommends a clean  install with each new version.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2823 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.