"Experience" release candidate viewer question

Spook Maroon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I tried this one out.  I'm on a Mac and suffering from that horrible Cocoa bug that SL picked up (and it's not Yosemite, this existed in Mavericks) so thought I'd try one of the release candidates.  Experience works like a champ!  It loads quickly, no chat lag, seem to be more efficient with system resources too.  

My only question with it is, is there any way to get local chat to show up in toasts on the screen instead of popping up a window? I was looking for the local chat input box on the bottom, but you have to type in a window that blocks your view of everything.  It was so disruptive I had to go back to Singularity viewer.  Didn't see anything in Preferences that would turn that off, can someone help?

If this isn't the right place for this, I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.  Thanks much in advance!

Spook Maroon wrote:

So I tried this one out.  I'm on a Mac and suffering from that horrible Cocoa bug that SL picked up (and it's not Yosemite, this existed in Mavericks) so thought I'd try one of the release candidates.  Experience works like a champ!  It loads quickly, no chat lag, seem to be more efficient with system resources too.  

My only question with it is, is there any way to get local chat to show up in toasts on the screen instead of popping up a window? I was looking for the local chat input box on the bottom, but you have to type in a window that blocks your view of everything.  It was so disruptive I had to go back to Singularity viewer.  Didn't see anything in Preferences that would turn that off, can someone help?

If this isn't the right place for this, I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.  Thanks much in advance!

1) Hit "Ctrl-H" or to to the "Communicate" menu and select "Nearby Chat..."

2) A window will pop up. There will be a text entry field at the bottom of the window. Click the button to the right of the text entry field with the "down" arrow - this will shrink the window to the text entry field alone and incoming chat will pop up above it as toasts.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

2) A window will pop up. There will be a text entry field at the bottom of the window. Click the button to the right of the text entry field with the "down" arrow - this will shrink the window to the text entry field alone and incoming chat will pop up above it as toasts.

Awesome thanks!  Will try that tonight!  That window for all local chat is too obnoxious for words. :)

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

I tried it, and it sort of works, but then a group chat comes in and it steals the focus and I find myself typing in that window that pops up.  Very distracting.

The Firestorm folks say that's the code they'll be using for the next version of firestorm. Hopefully they'll also pick up the Cocoa fix that this one seems to have.  I can't deal with that window being there all the time.

Ok, I know what it is.  My chat preferences and how it's set up to handle chat messages that come in.  Going to play with those some more, I may have to change some settings (in case someone else uses this viewer and has the same problem I do.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.