media_plugin_webkit error... PLEASE HELP!

Chance Small

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've downloaded and installed Second Life 2.7.2 on my brand new Windows 7 x64 machine. Whenever I start up SL, I get an error saying the media_plugin_webkit failed.

Searching google and several forums, I've done everything I've seen suggested which includes...

Updating Windows Update Completely

Un/Reinstalling SL

Un/Reinstalling QuickTime

Un/Reinstalling Safari

Un/Reinstalling Flash (IE/All Browsers)

Disabling Windows Firewall

Disabling Windows Defender

Disabling AVG Antivirus

Manually Installing VC2005 Redistributables

Manually Installing VC2008 Redistributables

If anyone has ANY other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Yea, I think I've seen that link posted in a few spots, and I've done those as well.

I actually just now finished reinstalling the OS, and it's still happening. I've installed SL many of times, and this is the first time I've ran into this. I wonder if it's something hardware specific.

Okay, a bit of a status update on the topic of it being hardware specific...

I went ahead and installed Windows 7 x64 on a Virtual Machine utilizing the same exact DVD I used to install on my computer. Once the OS was installed, all I did was download/install QuickTime and Second Life, and everything seems perfect in the Virtual Machine.

With that being said, any suggestions as to what specifically could be causing it hardware wise? Maybe a BIOS setting of some sort?

I finally found the issue! I decided I'd start from scratch once more, and reinstall my OS... This time I made sure the VERY first thing I installed was QuickTime/Second Life. Much to my suprise, it worked!

Next, I thought I'll install the software/drivers for my Biigfoot Networks Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card. When the install finished, it asked to reboot but I decided I'd try to run Second Life again before I did... FAILED. media_plugin_webkit error. I immediately uninstalled the software/drivers (didn't bother to reboot), ran Second Life again, and it worked like a charm!

Unfortunately, in order to install the drivers for the Killer 2100 NIC, I have to install the software that's bundled with it, and if I uninstall the software, the drivers get uninstalled along with it; so I am unable to determine what specifically is creating the issue (software or drivers?).

Eitherway, I'm sticking with my motherboard's ethernet in the mean time.

I just now did something similar, I wasn't able to find a way to "extract" the files from the setup executable, even when running the installer, it didn't put driver files in the AppData/Local/Temp long enough for me to copy it somewhere.

I installed the software/drivers, noticed there were driver files in the Program Files of the software. I copied the whole folder to somewhere safe, uninstalled it, then manually installed the drivers via Device Manager by pointing it to the folder I copied.

I am happy, once again. Thanks everyone for your contributions!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ugh, I just started getting this mesage. After years of SL, it popped-up out of the blue with no recent changes to my computer. I have reinstalled sl - did not work. Damn, the development team should really get on this as I suspect they are losing players left and right.

Bye SL :catsad:

• 1 year later...

AVG popped up and said the secondlife plugin is an infection, but im guessing avg is showing a false/positive result and the sl plugin is not a virus or maleware. Thats a fine hypothizin' but how the heck do i get rid of the 5 popup windows in SL that say "No Media Plugin Was Found"?  lol.

i know this happend b4 a few months back and i cant remember how i fixed it but i surely didnt reinstall the OS infact I dont even i had to reinstall SL. Anyways to everyone who had this happen to them you may want to check your security software, by default most security suites will shut down, block or destroy threats and that is most likely what has stopped your sl plugin from working.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.