libopenmetaverse

sferreira1979

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everybody :)

I need help for a project at school!!! i really want to understand what is libopenmetaverse .dll.

Did someone have already use the library on a project and for what purpose?  May someone give me examples of what i can do with libopenmetaverse or what's functionalities are useful for second life users?

Any information are useful for me.

Thanks for your time :)

:) pretty tecnical i agree... but i'm a programer student and i have to try to understand why libopenmetaverse is a good alternative os second life viewer?

or what can i do with libopenmetaverse to interact in virtual world... it's confuse and i'm trying to find informations to put my ideas in place... lol

the developper site provide information for people who know why the want to use libopenmetaverse, but for people who want to discover libopenmetaverse is confused...

thanks for your help and if you are an user of libopenmetaverse can you tell me more about libopenmetaverse?

Don't want to abuse of your time but it would be nice to have more inforation about this....:matte-motes-grin:

I'm a software developer but I've never been interested in creating my own SL client (viewer/bot) so I've never used openmetaverse.  You might want to start with the more general open-source information at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Open_Source_Portal.  On the other hand, if you don't really "have to understand why ... alternative [to] second life viewer" then I wouldn't bother, because it isn't really an alternative at all for most people.

Having said that, here are some things you may be able to do with a custom client:

• Tune execution (in order to optimise performance)
  • 'Reskin' the interface (for ease of use or simply to make it look prettier)
  • Omit unwanted functionality (in order to optimise performance and/or simplify the interface)
  • Enhance functionality (eg; clients receive data about all avatars in a sim.  This is not normally reported to the user but some TPVs (Third Party Viewers) used it to provide a 'no lag' full-sim radar without the need for sensor scripts)
  • Automate functionality ("bot" clients operate a normal avatar account under software control.  The client identifies chat-commands, etc. and responds in the required manner.  Bots are popular for group and land management, data-collection and a number of other operations)
  • [Add functionality (one of the more (in)famous examples was the avatar physics which, for instance, gave women jiggly breasts.  This was first seen in a TPV and was only visible/effective for users of that viewer.  LL adopted the idea - in a non-compatible way - as a standard feature.  This section is in '[ ... ]' as such incompatibilities have lead LL to change the rules for TPVs such that they may not change the 'shared experience' in this way any more]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.