folders missing with none copiable items

Titianna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Unsure what to think really and not sure what to do about it honestly, I have many folders missing that had none - copiable items that are now gone and it does upset me since most the items I purchase are from my own pocket. anyone have a idea what I can do?

In that case, since you imply that that didn’t help, perhaps you have to employ the more radical method of manually deleting all your cache –which that viewer option doesn’t do, at least not completely, and in some cases the difference proves to be relevant.

Go to the same panel in your viewer’s preference, but this time don’t use the “Clear cache” button... rather, use the “Browse” button to actually open the folder where all the cache files are stored in your computer. With that browser window still open, close your viewer completely, and then manually delete all the files (and subfolders, if present) contained in that folder... but not the folder itself, simply leave it empty.

Then relog and let your inventory reload from scratch. And since this should be done with the least interfering factors, make sure that you have nothing else running in your system that may be using your Internet bandwidth, at least not severely: that means Skype, BitTorrent clients, downloaders and even program/system updates if they’re running at the moment, should be momentarily stopped; also, while the inventory is reloading, don’t teleport elsewhere, preferrably don’t use voice... well, you get the idea: don’t do anything that might clog the connection bandwidth that’s being used to reload your inventory items. In fact, it’s usually a good idea to go to an empty sim with as little lag as possible before beginning this whole process, and stay there doing nothing else but waiting for your inventory to reload.

And once your inventory is fully loaded, wait for a minute or so, and then log off –because, until you do so, you won’t make sure that your newly (and hopefully correctly) loaded inventory gets stored properly in your computer; if you don’t do it and by any chance crash a bit later, your inventory cache may be corrupted again and you’d likely have the same problem as before. In fact, this is usually the exact reason why apparent inventory losses occur.

While all that info is good, sometimes it does not work.

One clear test to see if things are REALLY gone is to install a new viewer you haven't used before -- like Singularity maybe? Most any will do. If the inventory is still gone in that new viewer and you are a premium member you can put in a ticket for inventory loss. It is unlikely that it will work, but worth a try.

I have had at least five major inventory losses over the years with one time my complete home and garden folder and subfolders (maybe 5000 items) gone. It happens. I seldom have had any of these items come back to me. Now and then one item (not a folder) would appear mysteriously in a VERY odd place (not lost and found or the folder it was originally in). So you may get a few things back over time.

The first time this happens it is pretty devastating. Now I keep multiple backups of items. And if you have the space, rez as many of your favorite things that you can.  I still lose things.  I suspect most folks do and just don't notice.  As a builder I have had plenty of textures that I uploaded disappear. Not sure what that is about.

I have plenty of acquaintances and others who have lost things (one friend  lost all the items in her complete half sim store, another --  10,000 animations (that's a LOT of animations). 

Good luck. You are not along.

Did you find your items? It's always nice for a FU.

If not, you may have actually lost them. If you have no copy items out and they do a sim re start from a previous date, your item will be gone if you'd put it out shortly "before" the r. Happened to me many times. Rolling restarts will lose items. They tell us NOT to put out no copy items for a reason.

Using Linden's Offical Viewer and Firestorm. Going back and forth between viewers can cause inventory loss. Don't ask me the tech's on this, but I'd read about a bug that can cause loss. I'd been doing research on inventory loss because I'd lost about 35K of times by switching from Linden Viewer after I emptied my trash, and logged into Firestorm. Those items were never recovered, even though Linden spent an entire day in my account.

Can I ask what the items were? Hope it's working out now.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3171 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.