chat appearing in the wrong order

Parker Panache

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I engage in paragraph roleplay, and lately this is how my chat has been appearing:

Parker Panache: paragraph is finished here.

Parker Panache: Parker begins a long paragraph, and then the

In other words, if I write enough to fill a first post, the second post with the conclusion of the information appears on top, thus in the wrong order. Does anyone have any idea if this is some sort of setting I have wrong, or what I can do about this? Thanks!

Welcome to Second Life Forums, Parker

Between you pressing to send your paragraph into the chat, and it reaching your viewer, it has to go through the Linden Lab servers, and if you're a fast typist, sending several sentences/paragraphs quite quickly, they might not have reached the servers in the right order to be processed into world in the right order.

Write what you need to, press send, wait for it to appear in chat, before sending the next one.

Marigold, thanks so much for the welcome and the reply. I know the situation you describe, but that's not what this is. Let me give you an example:

19:44]  Peregrine Luigi Pelham (peregrinepelham): empfangen." As he is perched at the very edge of the dock the tears roll along his cheeks and fall to kiss the seawater.
[19:44]  Peregrine Luigi Pelham (peregrinepelham) does what he often does in times of stress, fix on the words of the operas he has learned and which he associates with happier times. He recites to himself, quietly singing inside his head, "We have through sorrow and joy, gone hand in hand; From our wanderings, let's now rest, in this quiet land." He looks at the casket, the sea beneath it, and his eyes fill with tears. He does not choke or wipe them ..they fall as tribute along his cheeks. The words of the prince, "or set your grief free and let it break from you" move him deeply. He is not himself moved to go to the coffin. He instead stands and quietly sings, very softly, to the ocean, to the ripping waves, to the shades of creatures that appear just enough as shadows on the surface. At the edge of the gathering, whispering so as not to intrude on anyon's thoughts, he quietly sings to the sea foam. "Nun der tag mich mud gemacht, soll mein sehnliches verlangen, reundlich die gestirnte nacht...'" He pauses for a soft breath. ",,,wie ein mudes Kind

In other words .. it's one long paragraph, and I only hit return once ...

Hi Parker!

I think the limit for a chat message is 1023 characters. I'd expect any excess to be truncated, but perhaps the viewer breaks the message into two parts and sends them in the wrong order. The example you posted seems to have been split at about the 1023 character mark.

Try shorter paragraphs!

Thanks for the advice, Madelaine. The thing that's really weird is that we have people who will sometimes post so many paragraphs that it takes three chunks of those 1023 characters to get in all they wrote (I don't go that long, I can't :) But their chat appears in the right order. So in other words

Them: First 1023 characters

Them: Second set of characters.

Them: Third set of characters.

With me, it appears in this order:

Me: Second set of characters

Me: First set of characters.

Oddly, this has been happening both in Firestorm and Singularity. I had been assuming it was a setting; now thinking I'll do a very clean install and hope it resolves. 

Duh, dozy me forgot to subscribe to this thread so didn't receive any updates. I obviously didn't fully understand the situation, and have never encountered such long paragraphs inworld to be honest, but what a weird thing to happen.

Now that an official Linden has stepped in with the best advice, I can only wish you much luck with the JIRA, so you can continue your para-RPing with more pleasure.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Try shorter paragraphs!

My brother rings me sometimes, and he has this habit of being quite brief, but just as we are about to say our goodbyes, he always gets me with this...

Oh... I just remembered ...

and as I wait there with baited breath for some juicy tidbit of gossip, there is a long-ish pause, then a click, then the dial tone.

... and he gets me almost ...

.... ........ every .... ....

... ...

drrrrrrrrrr (dial tone ;)  )

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Be happy I don't have your phone number. I can be brief, but I tease in other ways. Mom and my ex husband can't count the number of times they've had to turn down "too good to be true" offers from telephone marketing firms... who happen to be me.

My Indian accent is veddy, veddy gooood.

This is funnier than you can ever really know.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3151 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.