Why is it so hard not to change profile pics?

Orlith Nightfire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3298 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What happened to the easy drag from inventory to change it? just spent half an hour trying ti update profile pic having sevral java "this is not in format" pop ups, sevral errors before it finally took the damn picture. It was the same picture everytime. just took 50 million times to take.

My friend is now having the same problem. deff changing back to firestorm, V2 is so buggey it stupid.

I was having the same problem with V2. And sometimes i can't even find the pictures on my computer.

I really dont understand why they did that.

Imagine a photographer takes a picture of you, sends it to you (no transfer) and then you have a problem because you can't save it to your computer. Makes no sense to me.

I prefer Firestorm too because you can just drag the texture from inventory. Thats much easier.

Any Viewer using the V2 type profiles now requires you to save the profile pic to your computer, change it from TGA to jpg format, and then upload to the profile from the computer via my.secondlfe.com/username . On the plus side, if you take the snapshot directly to disk, there is NO fee, and you can edit the pic with a graphics program before using it for your profile, again with no fee.

The fact that my.secondlife.com is incapable of accepting a tga file, the format that SL saves a picture to disk in, makes no sense at all, but is how LL coded their site.

Firestorm and some other TPV's still use the old style Profile UI, but don't count on that lasting forever.

If a photographer gives you a picture of you, and it's no transfer, insist on getting a full-perms coipy that you can save to disk. It makes no sense for a photgrapher to give you a picture of you that is restricted in how it can be used.

Morgaine Christensen wrote:

Okay, being an old out of touch foggy here that despises V2, what is the difference between
and my.secondlife.com?  Can you access the "my.secondlife.com" via the old website?

my.secondlife.com leads to the new web profiles. The URL is on a need to know basis :) You won't find any link to it on the official SL homepage or on your dashboard. Welcome to the inner circle ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new so I may not know what I'm talking about.

A friend took a pic of my avy & shared it with me. I wanted to put it on my profile but got a message that the program didn't recognize the format. The format was TGA. I downloaded a format changer & converted it to JPG. Then it worked. Figuring all this out took up a couple hours of my precious SL inworld time.

Could someone please tell me why one part of SL takes pics in a format that another part of SL doesn't recognize.

• 2 weeks later...

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Morgaine Christensen wrote:

Okay, being an old out of touch foggy here that despises V2, what is the difference between
and my.secondlife.com?  Can you access the "my.secondlife.com" via the old website?

my.secondlife.com leads to the new web profiles. The URL is on a need to know basis
:)
You won't find any link to it on the official SL homepage or on your dashboard. Welcome to the inner circle
;)

So you are basically saying, that everyone who opens his/her profile inworld is in the "Inner Circle" ?

Cause this URL is clearly displayed in my window every time i open my profile inworld! :) 

Tristizia Demonista wrote:

So you are basically saying, that everyone who opens his/her profile inworld is in the "Inner Circle" ?

Cause this URL is clearly displayed in my window every time i open my profile inworld!
:)

That's because you're using LL v2/3. Those of us who aren't never see that URL. I knew of it only from the original blog posting that announced the web profiles. Again, not everyone is so dedicated to be on the blogs and forums as some of us are.

It's stupid that there's no link from either the main SL website or from the Dashboard to the profiles site. Here's hoping that one day LL will do a little consolidation of their internet properties.

You are right, that there should be a link at least on the dashboard!

But, playing a bit advocatus diaboli here, in a way i can understand LL here. They did announce it officially, it was featured on the log-in page AND it is visible in the viewer, the official that is.

TPV's are just that, TPV's, it is their problem if they do not make this information available (at least in the eyes of LL i guess).

But, again, SOME form of link somewhere would be very helpful indeed. :)

• 3 years later...

I am new to SL, a week old as I write this. 

I set a real life profile picture and changed my mind about it quite swiftly as I wish to not mix up SL life with real life. 

I tried to change the picture to one of my AVI. This did not work as I learned you need to pay L$10 for a picture to stay up. I got confused as to how my first profile picture stayed on. But mostly upset because I can't seen to even remove it now. 

When I failed to upload a different picture, I thought I'd just not have a profile picture at all. Now, I go to the picture settings and click "none" and save it. Now there's no profile picture. But when I re-login or teleport it suddenly brings back my very first profile picture (the real life one). 

It is very important to me to be able to keep my privacy!

Yes, I know I should not have uploaded the picture in the first place but I am still learning. 

Please help me out, thanks. 
Sash 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3298 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.