White screen upon opening sl viewer

Kalzx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hey Guys i have tried a few things i have seen on other posts but no luck. When i open sl viewer i get a white screen that over time turns blackl.

I have tried clean installs removing app data nd cache data and reseting my pc but no joy so far.

i had it working on this pc previously before i had to reset everything to factory default.

Here is my rig

AMD Radeon HD 7800 series graphic card

Inter (R) core i5 4670k cpu

two hard drives one samsung ssd and one standard 1tb drive

I am using windows 7 ultimate

any help would be much appretiated i am pretty baffled by this one

Hi :)

Maybe a sily question...ever tried with an alternative viewer? I have found that, when a network connection fails, the intro screen on the viewer does not show up, that is the screen (on Singularity) where the suggestions and such go.

De viewer could use different internet ports, and it is (remotely) possible that a post has closed...I'd go venture in that direction...

So in short, download an other viewer (Singularity, Firestorm) and try with them, still the same? Check if a port is open...use this command

nmap -p 80 example.com

In this example you check if port 80 on example.com is open/available. If not, either the port is shut on the server (not likely) or the provider slammed the port shut (likely but not that likely) or there is local software closing the port (pretty likely in case of security stuff)

Best of luck

Melissa

xxx

(Lady Keeper of the network at my work)

Thanks for such a fast and informative reply

SO here is what i have picked up so far from the link you provided it looks like the port is open.

Connect to example.org on TCP port 8080.

ncat example.org 8080

Listen for connections on TCP port 8080.

ncat -l 8080

Redirect TCP port 8080 on the local machine to host on port 80.

ncat --sh-exec "ncat example.org 80" -l 8080 --keep-open

Bind to TCP port 8081 and attach /bin/bash for the world to access freely.

ncat --exec "/bin/bash" -l 8081 --keep-open

with this information i tried out firestorm viewer and sadly i had the same issue :( . upon opening the program the screen turns white then after a minute or so it turns to black and is unresponsive

Thanks for the response i tried out a few but the same problem persists

upon opening the viewer i get a white screen followed shortly by a black screen.

also all drivers are java scripts are up to date

im pretty new to second life so im unsure about many things but through experience from games in my past i know about cache files and so on.

i cant log on what so ever so when i open sl viewer its white screen straight away. no option to log in or anything like that and the same applies to the other viewers i tried.

No doubt i have missed a simple step somewhere but i just cant imagine what it is

ummmm, no option to log in ? Your viewer is "kaputt"...

Might I suggest the Singularity? Or the Catznip...

Dang, if you'd run Linux, you could start it from the console and see the debug output...that'd help some...

Have you ever been able to run SL on that box?

Melissa

xxx

Problem Solved

Big thanks to everyone who helped me out

so as soon as i changed from aero to basic it solved instantly. I have never had an issue like this before that has been solved with such a simple fix.

Big thanks again and hope to see you all around :D

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.