When in Second Life going to be 64 bit?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sahra it runs fine on 64 bit windows but it is still running in the 32 bit program folder..

Still Not 64bit

Would be nice to see it some day :)

Southpaw Maybe the crashing is something more to do with images coming in too fast :) You might try turning off HTTP textures. or if you already have it off. Turn it on in advanced and see if that helps your texture loading

If you use a 64bit version of Linux, there are already viewers that run as native 64bit applications. As for Windows: Only if somebody creates 64bit versions of the dependent libraries for SL - or a completely new viewer, not this warmed up viewer 1 with ugly UI and some new technical improvements they call viewer 2...

Ansariel Hiller wrote:

If you use a 64bit version of Linux, there are already viewers that run as native 64bit applications. As for Windows: Only if somebody creates 64bit versions of the dependent libraries for SL - or a completely new viewer, not this warmed up viewer 1 with ugly UI and some new technical improvements they call viewer 2...

Don't give them any ideas... I'm frightened to think of what they would come up with.emoticons_smilies_8.gif

...Dres

One of je targets for Linden Lab is to be able to run SL on most computers both low and high end.

It will take a few years before 32 bits is out of use. Till that time it would be preferred to see the viewer develop to a more stable and reliable piece of software. At the moment 2.x has a mammoth cargo ship of bugs to be resolved and keep up with latest computer and game technology parallel in time. On the latter SL is already seriously behind since years, however the new CEO is LL's new hope. I'd rather prefer to see focus on that.

SL is to be abele run on most, if not all, computers is the first priority i suppose.

Alas,  one of those bugs is that streaming media doesn't work when running the client on 64-bit Linux. I've already installed "getlibs" and retrieved 32-bit versions of the gstreamer good, bad, and ugly codec libraries to no avail, so I'm at a loss as to how to proceed, save to check the JIRA and add an entry if it's not already been reported.

The Ubuntu Community docs point to a Phoronix study that showed no loss, and some major gains, inperformance from using 64-bit Linux, and say "Unless you have specific reasons to choose 32-bit, we recommend 64-bit to utilise the full capacity of your hardware." The x86-64 architecture relieves the severe register poverty of  the x86 architecture and its extreme non-orthogonality, getting rid of a lot of MOV instructions  that shuffle values into and out of the only register that supports a particular operation on the pre 64-bit architecture. Having that capability, I'd like to not have to give it up to run one program.

Not quite sure what you mean. I have 64-bit gstreamer and associated codec packages installed, but 32-bit code can't directly link to and use 64-bit libraries, as far as I know. (I tripped over that when I tried to replace a library Google Earth uses which was the cause of ghastly-looking text when running the program--I didn't realize that the Linux version of Google Earth is 32-bit.) As it stands, I have ia32libs installed, which appears to suffice for everything but streaming media when running a 32-bit SL client. I'll go back and look at the post which lists the packages that some people have mentioned Fedora has and that they say suffice to get streaming audio to work if you install them. There are no corresponding Ubuntu packages, but perhaps that will give me a complete list of the libraries to grab with getlibs.

Melissa Yeuxdoux wrote:

Not quite sure what you mean. I have 64-bit gstreamer and associated codec packages installed, but 32-bit code can't directly link to and use 64-bit libraries, as far as I know. (I tripped over that when I tried to replace a library Google Earth uses which was the cause of ghastly-looking text when running the program--I didn't realize that the Linux version of Google Earth is 32-bit.) As it stands, I have ia32libs installed, which appears to suffice for everything but streaming media when running a 32-bit SL client. I'll go back and look at the post which lists the packages that some people have mentioned Fedora has and that they say suffice to get streaming audio to work if you install them. There are no corresponding Ubuntu packages, but perhaps that will give me a complete list of the libraries to grab with getlibs.

Might also try Debian instead, more packages in that distro.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Lindens

No Linden ever said that there would never be 64-bit.

Sounds like someone's sourcing an old quote. In 2007, I advised that it was too soon to divide resources. Back then, the 64-bit user base was well under one percent.

In 2008, I suggested that we should probably do 64-bit Linux at the least, given the shoddy shape of 32-bit compatibility libraries in most 64-bit Linux distributions. An official build hasn't come from Linden, but I did write, solicit and import a lot of 64-bit changes. Those are in use in the third party 64-bit viewers you can download today.

I don't know when official 64-bit viewer builds will come, but it would make a lot more sense today than it did four years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for the helpful comments.  I think the 64bit thing is becoming a greater issue.  Seems my 64bit programs process information faster than my 32bit programs.  From video editing, 3d modeling, and gaming(such as the new Adobe Premiere, the latest Sony Vegas Pro, efrontier Shade, sidefx Houdini, and World of Warcraft), I am noticing tremendous differences in performance on my i5.  And my video card also.  As Second Life has grown, I'm certainly interested in it, but the performance issues are not helping.  For example... if I log into Star Trek or WoW, I'm having amazing graphics, response time, performance speed, and stability, but when looking at somewhat similar graphics with far less members in an area in Second Life, my computer is not processing in a close speed to these others.  I watched a friend play Fable III and Metro the other day on their amd computer and said those are amazing graphics.  My friend loaded up second life and it froze atleast 3 times in the 3 times it was opened in two days.  His connection was 22mb down.  So... that's nearly 3times faster than mine(I share mine... so that's 6 times faster really).  There was also slow graphic element drawing, in comparison to those crazy looking games.

What I am figuring is that since Linden Labs is taking extra time getting up a 64 bit version, I have my hopes up that it will be looking into the OpenCL and mostly GPU rendering that the big guys like sidefx houdini the newest sony vegas pro are using these days.  That would be sweet.

Hoping for the best.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

User-generated content is both the strength and weakness of Second Life. In those other games, teams of experts spend lots of time designing and optimizing. Your path through the game is largely known, as are the things around you and what you'll be paying attention to, and the people making the games take as much advantage of that as possible.

In Second Life, random people who may or may not have any serious programming or CS experience, or graphics design experience, make things. If a scripter decides the way to sort things is to shuffle them until they turn out to be in order, there's nothing to stop them--what fraction of SL scripters even know anything about complexity theory,  much less do complexity analyses of their scripts?

A 64-bit SL client will run faster, but can't run fast enough to overcome inefficient algorithms--and as Gwyneth Llewelyn points out, some LSL functions are intentionally made slow as a quick and dirty way to defend against griefers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.