What's a good IM app for Android? (V 6.0.1 - Marshmallow)

latinome2015

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there,

hope this is the right forum to ask this question: I am interested in a good and reliable IM app for Android to interact with SL friends while off my computer and the one I found SL Text (aka IM to Secondlife) is a nice free ( based on volunteer donations which I already have) app but it is rather unstable and pretty basic. I would like to know if there is something in between, a reliable one and if even if not free, though that would be neat, I know there is a trade off between reliability and price.The ones I have been able to find on Google Play seem to include SL viewer or features that may jack up my data usage which by the way, it is the reason for using this app on my cell in the first place. By the way, no outside apps would be considered, not worth the risk if not certified by GP.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot, in advance.

Latinome2015

HI  Nalates and thanks for the prompt reply,

I had actually found the ones you mentioned, for Android that is, and rightfully so, they seem to be more complex apps with  some sort of viewing capability. yet to see is the data usage but my take is that it will be more than just what an IM app would use.

And the link you sent me seems to have recent information so I would say that the one I am using right now is the only app that has IM  only,  which I guess confirms my search results.

Thanks again,

cheers!

Latinome2015

Lumiya does have an option to render, but that part doesn't use any resources unless you switch it on.

All SL clients are going to cause a little background traffic to happen, there are certain changes that have to be tracked just so you can be in the world and communicate. If you leave the rendering option turned off, you won't get that onslaught of asset transfers, though.

Of the available Android viewers i've only tried Mobile Grid Client - free to download has a free trial period after which you must pay continually to use the viewer if all you want to do is IM people it's pretty good and Lumiya which i feel is a much better Android viewer there is a one off fee but you can get it 'free' by downloading the google rewards app and earning playstore credit via surveys it does have a graphical view but you can use it for just IM's if you don't select the 3D view for what it does it's been very reliable on my Jellybeans version of Android

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.