Viewer 3.0... Furniture Won't Rez? Can it be Fixed?

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On Viewer 3.0, some furniture doesn't rez correctly.  Some rezzes okay while other pieces of furniture look like stick legs or pieces of cardboard with no 3D effect. 

The first photo is taken in a furniture store.  The second photo is taken in my bedroom.  I don't want my bedroom furniture to look like this photo!  Also, I just spent money on quite of bit of things including some reproduction 3D antiques. 

Can this be fixed so it views correctly?  And, I'd like to view my antiques. 

furnstore1_001 copy.pngfurnstore1_002 copy.png

I waited about twenty minutes for rez of furniture, but no rez. 

I hope it can be fixed. 

There are things for viewer 1, v2, v3, mesh... what is going on?  It's getting confusing, but I hope this can be fixed. 

On my computer, Phoenix had greyed out parts; Firestorm, broken bridge links; Firestorm Beta, grey bots and "buggy", hardly any rez on bots.  So, I downloaded 3.0 and now this.  My 3D "antiques" collection was coming along beautifully, and now it looks like this?  It looks awful.  I hope it can be fixed.  Also, I am a single Mom on SL, and this just won't do as acceptable. 

this is what is happening, it has to do with the levels of details of some things, sculpties get distorted if you look at them from a certain distance, it seems your level of detail is very low.

how to fix it:

go to the advanced menu, if you dont see it, press ctrl+alt+d, under the menu, almost at the bottom, you will see "show debug settings", click on it and you will see the "debug settings" window, write RenderVolumeLODFactor in it, and increase the number you see there, the more you increase it,  the less you are going to see the problem you are having but it may make Second Life slower. try increasing it to a level that you can see everything and have it not so slow.

Phew!  That scared me a bit there.  I spent a lot of money on 3D art and antiques and it was a gift to me.  That would be a huge gift down the drain if I had not gotten my stuff viewable again.  I had to up the RenderVolumeLod to about 4-5x what it was and I have no idea how slow that is going to make SL. 

But, I would like to voice an opinion, this listing of stuff for v1, v2, mesh needs to stop.  Either it's viewable on all viewers and especially all next generation viewers, or don't sell it.  Some items I've even seen listed for viewer 1.25.  Now that is ridiculous.  And, sometimes there is no viewer specified, so this or that item is for viewer undescribable.  That is a nutty way to spend money, and yes this is real money, on items we don't even know if they are going to be viewable.

I got most of my antiques viewing now, except one lamp. 

The mesh clothes are just plain ugly, and this mesh thing is not that attractive at all.  I've seen one mesh sofa so far, simply ugly. 

Err, I'm so mad at SL, I could scream.  There needs to be one viewer that works for crying out loud and an explanation of what is viewable on all viewers, not just left blank in the description for the buyer to figure that out later!  My lamp seems to be unusable now.  Not sure what else is in store yet.  But, appropriate descriptions for seller's is needed.  WRITE A DAM APPROPRIATE DESCRIPTION ALREADY FOR WHAT VIEWER ITEMS ARE USABLE FOR!   Some seller's do and some do not.  It should become mandatory now that seller's describe whether their items are viewable on all viewers or not. 

Right.  Good luck with that one, that's a good attitude.  Typical of Venus. 

People better download v3 before they make furniture purchases because I was just in a store and items that were once 3D are now 2D.  They look like two pieces of cardboard stuck together, and my lamp that I had already bought looks like a piece of 2D cardboard pasted to my computer screen.

Buyer beware, or download v3 before making big decisions.  People are going to need to know where to set their RenderVolumeLOD and how much lag it's going to cause because even going up 4-5x on RVL doesn't seem enough to make items that were once 3D view as 3D again.

I say good luck shopping under these circumstances. 

Venus Petrov wrote:

Good luck on that one.

As you have just experienced, it is not always a 'viewer problem'.  Sometimes it is a 'user problem'.

It's not a user problem anymore than it's a viewer problem, it's a creator problem. Some people know how to make sculpties, others don't and force you to play around with viewer debug settings to cover up for their incompetence.

Mayalily wrote:

Right. 
Good luck with that one
, that's a good attitude.  Typical of Venus. 

People better download v3 before they make furniture purchases because I was just in a store and items that were once 3D are now 2D.  They look like two pieces of cardboard stuck together, and my lamp that I had already bought looks like a piece of 2D cardboard pasted to my computer screen.

Buyer beware, or download v3 before making big decisions.  People are going to need to know where to set their RenderVolumeLOD and how much lag it's going to cause because even going up 4-5x on RVL doesn't seem enough to make items that were once 3D view as 3D again.

I say good luck shopping under these circumstances. 

My bolded statement was in response to your plea that all viewers behave the same and everything for sale be clearly marked.  There are generally two 'standards'.  Viewers based upon the original SL viewer, such as Phoenix, and those based upon V2 or V3, such as Firestorm.   Many still use a V1 viewer because they like it and their computer can accommodate the requirements to run it.

Just be aware there are differences and there are options in the viewer to manage your experience.  You are experiencing a learning curve.  Be patient with yourself.

All viewers should rez what people have purchased unless it's mesh.  Most people understand that.  Not to mention most people I've talked to inworld said they wouldn't even take the mesh clothes for free and neither would I after looking at them.  They are horrible clothes.  They look like pieces of rumpled fabric with a belt and they have no style whatsoever.

Do you think it is cheap to buy items on SL, Venus?  Well, no, it isn't.  Not to mention the hours and hours of people creating things only to have them become unviewable with v3.  Not to mention the hours and hours I've spent collecting these 3D reproduction antiques.  That took a lot of time, patience, and money which was a gift to me, and I don't want to lose it all now after all those hours. 

And again yes all viewers should rez what is already made unless it's mesh because months ago on this forum we were told that non-mesh viewers won't be able to view mesh (which hardly anyone, well honestly not even one I've met inworld cares or likes the current free mesh clothes on Marketplace right now).  We were NOT told that non-mesh items and older prim or sculpty items won't rez properly on mesh viewers.  So this is sounding like a bunch of BS.  This is not play money or invisible money. 

So yes, we need to know what's going on when we make a purchase as I don't know any person on the planet who is a mind reader if the creator doesn't spell it out for us.

This is becoming a viewer and item nightmare. 

Mayalily wrote:

All viewers should rez what people have purchased unless it's mesh.  Most people understand that.  Not to mention most people I've talked to inworld said they wouldn't even take the mesh clothes for free and neither would I after looking at them.  They are horrible clothes.  They look like pieces of rumpled fabric with a belt and they have no style whatsoever.

Do you think it is cheap to buy items on SL, Venus?
  Well, no, it isn't.  Not to mention the hours and hours of people creating things only to have them become unviewable with v3.  Not to mention the hours and hours I've spent collecting these 3D reproduction antiques.  That took a lot of time, patience, and money which was a gift to me, and I don't want to lose it all now after all those hours. 

And again yes all viewers should rez what is already made unless it's mesh
because months ago on this forum we were told that non-mesh viewers won't be able to view mesh (which hardly anyone, well honestly not even one I've met inworld cares or likes the current free mesh clothes on Marketplace right now).  We were NOT told that non-mesh items and older prim or sculpty items won't rez properly on mesh viewers.  So this is sounding like a bunch of BS.  This is not play money or invisible money. 

So yes, we need to know what's going on when we make a purchase as I don't know any person on the planet who is a mind reader if the creator doesn't spell it out for us.

This is becoming a viewer and item nightmare. 

Prices vary widely in SL. 

And, I thought that Canoro's helpful advice worked but for one of your lamps.  So, now you are able to see nearly everything in your home, yes?

Canaro's advice is helping some.  However, it seems to want to reset at around .17 rather than .23 which I need.  I'd have to get the correct number as that has some zeros in it. 

What's going on also is a color change from Firestorm beta to v3.  On Firestorm Beta, I bought an oil lamp looked pink on FS Beta and in pictures; however, on v3 it looks reddish-orange color.  Yuk, orange does not go with my decor at all!  Next, two candleabras bought on FS Beta now will not light on v3.  Next, the lamp that looks like a piece of cutout cardboard and stuck to my computer screen was yellow but is now orange.  There is also a color change from FS Beta compared to V3.0. 

FS Beta I used for a week and gave up; too many bugs and greyed out bots.   About 1-2 bots would rez on FS Beta if I was lucky.  I finally gave up on that one for now. 

Also, FS Beta seems to have a bug with the destination guide and that message is going thru FS Beta all day long because it's full of bugs and spyware wants to vault it and SL.  This has happened to many people trying out the new FS Beta with the destination guide and all kinds of problems.  However, on v3, I am only getting a black screen on the destination guide and nothing else.  I can look in my spyware vault to see if something from SL got put in there when I installed v3.  But, if nothing is in my anti-spyware, I can't rez nor work the destination guide at all; just a black screen. 

True that they are betas.  You are right. 

I've had three viewers in the beta series that were very fast though.  The first one I downloaded in March of this year, another one the last Firestorm which has broken bridge links and wouldn't let me install a clean viewer of no matter what I tried, and now this V3 which are all super fast!  One thing positive I will say about this v3 is it is lightening fast.  Doesn't seem too buggy as far as visuals except for needing to adjust the RVL (however, there is no button to save it at the setting one needs, so maybe that could be added) and it needs some color adjusting, and I'm having trouble with the destination guide which is just a black screen for me on this V3. 

Now, being a photographer and an antiques dealer over the years, I have had problems getting the correct pink for photo shots on digital cameras.  The pink-red tones can so easily turn orangish in color in digital, it's not even funny.  It's a pain in the neck sometimes working with pinks digitally.  There must be a way to tweek the orange tone out of the pinks in V3 at midday light.  One thing I did notice when taking digital pictures of pink or some pink-red tones such as rose need midday light to capture the correct color digitally.  And, when I purchased the items when on FS Beta the newer one (I'm confused as there are so many viewers), the pinks and reds were correct at midday, but those same colors at midday on V3 are off to the orange tones. 

I'm not sure what to do here with off colors and no destination guide, but v3 is lightening fast.  They did something right in that respect.  Why it's so fast... I don't know.  Getting less buggy perhaps?  And, I'm also not sure what to do because I used Phoenix and I get greyed out bits of hair or hair on the crowns of heads is all grey.  I couldn't get a full rez with Phoenix.  So, at this point, I don't know what to do. 

ETA:  Just checked the RVL and it's at 1.750, even though I need 2.350 to make all the stick-looking objects go away.  However, there is no button or anything for me to save this 2.350 which I need and it keeps reverting back to this number -- 1.750, which makes about 80% of the problem go away, but I still have some sticks and my rocking chair does not look right, as do others items not look correct because it keeps resetting to 1.750, which isn't high enough to get rid of all the stick-looking parts of the furniture.

So again, I'm at an impasse here of what to do.  But, the speed of v3 is fantastic, and that's the best thing about it.  I haven't seen any avatars yet because I just downloaded v3.0 last night.  To be continued, I guess....cuz I don't know what to do at this point without a destination guide. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.