Viewer 2 sudden very poor FPS (Linux)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I'm on Ubuntu Natty (11.04) 32-bit running the latest nVidia binary graphics driver (card is a Quadro FX 1600m). I'm using the "Ubuntu Classic" desktop (not Unity)

I just got the viewer 2 upgrade to 2.7.4.235167. Ever since I did I've had a number of strange symptoms:

• Maximum achievable FPS 1.0 (average about 0.7)
  • Viewer won't launch from the menu (it seems to start and die)
  • If the viewer is launched from the command line it usually asks to send a crash report (expected since it died)
  • Saying "Yes" to crash report causes it to crash again.
  • Machine is being maxed out (2.4 GHz dual core, both CPUs on the rails)

Flushing the cache hasn't fixed it. Previous viewer version (2.6.3.227447) seems fine as long as there hasn't already been a crash since last reboot.

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions,

Papa.

Intel Duo Core here however with Windows Vista, but with same problem and we are not the only one. 

2.7.4 Drastically reduces fps, for me and many from 35-40 to 5-7. Or crashes at startup.

No matter if it is Mac, Windows7, Vista or Linux, or whatever.

I think LL has mixed up some progam code really as if the new lightning and shadows are always activated in the program code even if not actually selected. Resulting in what you describe.

I went back to 2.7.2 and all is well. It's not Linux or so, it's the latest version (rolling eyes). Errrr of course disable automatic updates ater rolling back.

A tikcket i have filed btw, however no reply yet. I bet LL is overloaded with tickets lately ;)

I'm curious what ~/.secondlife/logs contains.  If you can copy and paste each log in ~/.secondlife/logs/ into their own pastebin and provide the links, it would take a lot of the guesswork out of what's going wrong (just the files ending in .log).  This should just be the debug log and the secondlife viewer log (contains just technial information, no position or chat data but rather it's terminal output).

I saw this on 2.7.4 and 2.7.5 with graphics set to Ultra.  You might try it at a lower graphics setting, High worked ok.  I posted it in the JIRA as a bug, here's the link:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2150?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel

You might want to add a comment if you think its the same thing.

robin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4653 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.