Vehicle prim limits with Mesh Viewers

dd Temin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it true the  prim limits  of physical vehicles has  now been increased to greater than 32?

i saw a physical vehicle motorcycle of 64 normal prims that was working as a vehicle......(not attached to avatar)

if so....what is the new prim limit  for physical vehicles....and what Viewer is needed to create 64 prim phical vehicles??

thank you for any help you can offer..:)

EDIT: Script updated since I discovered that PRIM_PHYSICS may not be so reliable, that SL need a pause after the change of physics shape and that reading OBJECT_PRIM_EQUIVALENCE is not very useful.

A change happened... Sort of. Meshes happened. And with them came the (convoluted) Prim Equivalence system in which physics is allowed for objects up to 64 PE (NOT prims).

However, you do not need meshes nor any special viewer for this. The PE system is enabled as soon as your object has a physics shape other than "prim"... and you can change that with a script using llSetPrimitiveParams() and the rule PRIM_PHYSICS_SHAPE_TYPE.

For example:

llSetLinkPrimitiveParamsFast(LINK_ALL_CHILDREN, 					[PRIM_PHYSICS_SHAPE_TYPE, PRIM_PHYSICS_SHAPE_NONE,			        PRIM_LINK_TARGET, LINK_THIS, 					PRIM_PHYSICS_SHAPE_TYPE, PRIM_PHYSICS_SHAPE_CONVEX]);// This (loooooong) line removes all the child prims from the equation// and changes the physics shape of the root prim to use PEllSleep(0.5); To give time for SL to realize something changed.
llSetStatus(STATUS_PHYSICS, TRUE);

You can check the physics cost of your vehicle with llGetObjectDetails() and the flag OBJECT_PHYSICS_COST. It must not exceed 64 PE to be allowed to enable physics.

Any way... Just simple as that! No meshes, no V3...

I think it has more to do with Physics weight than with prim equivalence, and I'm not sure what the limits actually are, but you can get a lot more than 64 PE.  To experiment, I took a 251 prim locomotive to a sandbox, made all but the root prim have Physics Shape Type of "None" and the Root "Convex Hull", and (once the sim finished converting all that*) set it Physical with no problem.  The object had a "land impact" of 251, with 42.7 Download, 0.1 Physics, 251.0 Server, and 10354 Display. Just for yucks, I dropped a physical vehicle script in it and drove it around the sandbox for a while.

It seems that there's practically no limit to the PE of physical vehicles anymore, but the Physics weight matters, which kind of makes sense.  Of course, if you make it primmy enough it's going to have some problems crossing sim borders, and if its Display and Download are high, it will be slow to rez.

____

*Note that during conversion, the object's land impact can soar before settling down where it belongs.  I have no idea why it does that, but it means a capacious sandbox is useful for doing this.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.