The First 1.x Viewer with Mesh Support is out

Holger Gilruth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

First please remember he is NOT listed (not applyed) on the Third Party Viewer Directly

The Cool VL Viewer is now available in a amazing experimental version.

Its the old style of the SL viewer and it really can do what no other have made like now. The Phönix, Kirstens, ... no viewer can view Mesh in the old style.

For all people who hate the new 2.x and 3.x style can now use it.

I personally trust the creator but remember everyone must decide to try or not.

For me personally its amazing now i can use the fast and great old viewer style (real no skin) and use the Mesh too and dont feel boring because i could not see that.

The download is to found here

http://sldev.free.fr/

please scroll down until you see this line:

Cool VL Viewer v1.26.1 (experimental, MESH branch):

thats what you need. I will not post a direct url because if there is a change in the future be sure you get the latest version from it.

Greets

Holger Gilruth

For those not familiar with him the developer of the Cool Viewer, Henri Beauchamp, is a longtime SL resident and open source advocate who has been contributing patches and bug fixes to the official Linden viewers as well as to the third party viewer community. The reason he's chosen not to list his work on the official TPV site has to do with certain open source licensing issues, not because Cool Viewer is attempting to "hide" anything. Of course everyone must make the determination whether they want to trust a non-LL developer on their own based on their own information.

I'm not speaking for Henri nor making any representation that his work is "safe". I'm highlighting his longtime association with the SL developer community. I, however, will be downloading and testing the mesh Cool Viewer!

lol grats to Henri, who is yet again the first to backport a new feature. he's a bit curlish when it comes to taking bug reports, but he's a damn fine coder. I recommend his viewer without reservation to anyone wanting a full featured v1 interface.

ETA:
I think that's a new recod for him... backporting a feature less than a month after it's officially available. he was also the first in pretty much every new feature added by V2, although last I checked still hadn't added multiple tattoo layers for his own personal resons.

Yup, I had been waiting for it since he announced it a few days ago. I just installed and I am finally happy. I love V2 but the mesh viewer cut my fps by 50%, in contrast Henri's viewer doubled my FPS! so now I will have to get used to the old style viewer again but I don't care as long as I can see mesh :D

I recommend everyone who is using V1 to try this one. :)

Catwise Yoshikawa wrote:

O_O So is possible to add mesh to a viwer 1? I won't ask why LL didn't do that...but why phoenix didn't do that also? I still don't like viwer 2 parts in firestorm
¬¬

Nice news ^^

From what I can read in the release notes is that the cool vl viewer merged the v2.6 render engine into the v1.4 snowglobe viewer, henry goes trough extreme lengths to backport features and keep old desirable features (like the old style communications window where the friends list and groups list are seperate)

People were telling me, a few months back, that Viewer 2 was faster than Viewer 1, which seems a sick joke now. The last few versions of Viewer 2, and now Viewer 3, have been horribly slow. The speed I achieved with that experimental Cool VL Viewer does make me think those old opinions are plausible, so what have the Lindens been doing to FUBAR their Viewer?

It looks as though something they've done in the last few versions has broken the product. Since Henri has based things on v2.6 + Mesh, it doesn't look as though Mesh itself is the cause.

It is somewhat unfortunate that the Mesh-capable Viewer is going to be associated with this poor performance. 

Holger Gilruth wrote:

you doubled the FPS? Wow i have wonder with my old card i have 20fps in the v2 and here too but just i have no crashes in the v1 thats why i use it

I really don't understand what is going on. Some people are reporting they see an increase in FPS in V3 and others (like me) se the opposite an get a big decrease, while yet others see no difference. Up until 2.7 I loves Kirsten's, Dolphin and Firestorm because I could get higher FPS on these than I do on Phoenix. Then 2.8 and newer became very laggy for me and I get only 5fps at the most. My friend who was having the same problem and got only 2fps on 3.0.0 now gets 10fps on 3.0.2 so for him performance increase. So I really don't know what is going on I wish I could understand but for now if I want to be able to use mesh I can only use the Cool Viewer.

The one thing that might be responsible for this decrease in fps, is that, for whatever reason, when you update your viewer the graphix settings change to default. Which, depending on your system, can drop fps dramatically.

So it might be worth a try, if these settings have changed for you.

For me, since 2.7, performance increased, so i would guess it's not the fault of the viewer per se.

Catwise Yoshikawa wrote:

O_O So is possible to add mesh to a viwer 1? I won't ask why LL didn't do that...but why phoenix didn't do that also? I still don't like viwer 2 parts in firestorm
¬¬

Nice news ^^

LL didn't do it because they abandoned that codebase for one which was easier for them to maintain. Phoenix didn't because they made the decision going forward that it would be easier to maintain from LL's actively developed branch than it would be to continue patching the older codebase.

Cool and Singularity have an additional reason for sticking with the old codebase in that they want to have their viewers compatible with openSim as well, while apparently Firestorm is going to be dropping that as the gap widens between SL and openSim behavior.

Okay I love the look of this Cool viewer BUT.... mesh looks like elongated torus prims STILL... any ideas on what is going on? Someone mentioned hardware skining but that term may as well be in mandarin chinese. Perhaps the person that made the reference could explain where to find this 'hardware skining' setting thing.

first question is did you dowload the correct version? the experimental version of cool is not the main download... version should be 1.26.1 NOT 1.26.0

if you've ensured that part, then a quick explantaion of hardware skinning is that it's a feature of video cards... most modern cards support it, some older cards do not. (and as a side note, I don't see mention of it here in this thread)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4464 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.