Textures constantly going blurred

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm having having this annoying problem where if I turn to face away from any textured object(s) and turn back about 10-15 seconds later to look at them. They appear blurry and takes about 5-10 secs to completely sharpen again. 

I tested this in quite a small room with regular prims (no mesh or sculpts) and each time I cammed at something previously offscreen then this would constantly happen. It's like the textures aren't being properly cached/ stored in memory. My gfx drivers are up to date and I have a fast connection. Clearing the cache, re-installing and deleting all folders had no effect. This has been happening since viewer 3.4.4 and has persisted through to 3.5.1. Anyone else had this issue?  

I had this problem too a few days ago.But it was only my tops and my face.So I decided to wear a new shape and skin and since that it works fine for me.Although I miss my old shape and skin, I think I will try it again If it is normal now...maybe it was only Second Life the last days....I hope

It does not happen with mesh clothes here...the tops where baked ones.

And remove and wear again did only help for one or two seconds...pffff.

I use firestorm viewer but not the newest one...I removed it and use now the older version cause with the new one it was impossible to play normal.

This is a problem from the recent Interest List changes. I think it is worse than previously, but that is a subjective opinion.

Your video card has limited texture memory. It drops textures to make room for new textures in our field of view. When you turn around they have to reload. The Interest List changes seem to have changed something in how that process works. So, we have to wait for the system to re-decompress the texture from our local cache. Other than getting more video ram I don't know there is much we can do about it.

You can use Ctrl-Shift-3 to turn on/off the texture info display and see how the system is handling textures. If you see textures repeatedly downloading, try increasing cache size. Max cache size is 10gb. The setting is in Preferences->Advanced.

The SL wiki has more information on the texture console and what the abbrevations mean.

Not sure what you mean by interest list changes, you mean the profile interest section?

It's unusual because my gfx card has 1GB of texture memory available and an extra 1.7GB allocated by windows. Right now my tex memory in prefs is set to 512MB which is the maximum and also did as you suggested to increase the cache size. It's seems very unnecessary all this texture compression and decompression over and over when stood in the same spot with very little to load in the local environment anyway.

I submitted a support ticket and they suggested the usual, re-install the viewer, clear all the App data files then power cycle my modem and router........none of which has helped the situation. I have heard many people saying how textures constantly reload on screen but I think this is where everything remains in view for them. Apparently this affects 3.4.4 onwards.

If you see textures repeatedly downloading, try increasing cache size. Max cache size is 10gb. The setting is in Preferences->Advanced.

You really don't want to do this. When you cache fills the game will basically stop and every single file in your cache will be last access date/time checked to work out the oldest 10% (I think it is) which are then deleted. 

Your cache size should be just enough to store the region you are in/based on your draw distance, and not much more. As long as you are not shopping in the region called "Furniture", then you should be ok with 512 or 1024MB.

I also am not sure about thrashing as being the true cause. Inside a minimal room it should not happen. A 180 degree turn could never need to rewrite the entire 512MB of VRAM. Plus there are those weird textures that the SL viewer shows that flash in and out of focus over and over without you even moving your camera.

More likely to be a corrupted cache, or one that is set over 512MB or 1024MB in my view. The game just can't keep up with the sheer amount of cruft in your cache file.

• Like 1

Waylon Blackthorne wrote:

Not sure what you mean by interest list changes, you mean the profile interest section?

Nalates is referring to a newly mplemented project by Linden Labs called 'Interest Lists' designed to rez items in the order that you are most likely to be interested in them i.e. those you are facing and are nearby first.  This seems fine unless you do a lot of turning around in a region with a lot of textures, as most of us do, then I am finding that rezzing can sometimes be more problematic.

• 2 months later...

This is happening to me constantly for the past few days.  I seriously doubt that its my video card (or hope not), because I'm using one of the new NVidia GTX Titan cards.   It also happens sometimes if I don't even move the camera - things just blur and then refocus again.  Its never happened prior to this that I can recall.

Its not just me, either.  The person standing next to me said it was happening to them, as well.    Right now, I'm standing in front of a trash can with a 512 x 512 texture.  I mouse over it until it renders properly, then move the mouse - within about 15 seconds, the object is blurry again.  If I move the mouse back over - or even just wait a while..it focuses and then becomes blurry again a few seconds later.

I was beginning to think it was a sim issue, but reading this and hearing that others are experiencing the same, I think perhaps its not.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I actually wrote about this in my last blog a week or two ago.

Here:

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2013/10/17/meshmaxconcurrentrequests-texturefetchconcurrency-http-textures-texture-thrashing-and-why-isnt-my-stuff-rezzing-yet/

- Adjust the settings in there and you should be fine.

MeshMaxConcurrentRequests

TextureFetchConcurrency

RenderTextureMemoryMultiple

And in the 'hardware' section, setting graphics memory as high as you can.

Its all about not just any one of those, but how they play together. So you have to 'tune your system' for the right balance of the first two, and set the last one as high as it can go ( 1 ). The last one might be Mac only though.

These rely on 'Http Textures' being on.

Finally, I forgot to note it in my blog, but there is also a setting for compressing textures. I think on the graphics - hardware window, and turning that off can help if things keep coming in blurry after the above changes.

• 10 months later...

I think I have tried everything suggested, including disabling htttp textures all with varying degrees of effectiveness. But without a complete solution. The biggest cause for me seems to be the mesh project style hud, which would appear to be suckng up texture memory like I wearing every skin and clothing texture inside it.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Guys, be aware that enabling TextureLoadFullRes will cause you to crash all the time from out of memory & will also cause you extreme performance problems. You'll also see a lot of broken textures. Even a top gaming system will suffer with that setting enabled.  It isn't a fix.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I don't know what Linden Labs did but their support is not even trustful to be honest.

Once I had a problem with my land not showing in the results, a Linden came to help me out and said that the Landing Point must be below a certain altitude for it to work. The problem solved when I increased my traffic, it was so low that it was not showing at all.

Then I had a problem where some uploaded audio files stopped working, a Linden replied to me telling me to try with their viewer, since I was running Firestorm and it runs perfectly fine. After trying to play them on their viewer the problem was still there, only one sound effect was playing the rest didn't, so I was getting upset for broken uploaded files. The results, I fixed it my self, it wasn't the viewer it was actually the parcel not playing sounds, some sounds played the rest didn't.

So Linden Support isn't the brightest of all, I checked their job description and requirements to join and I can garantee that some are there just holding a "Linden" name and know nothing about anything, so sorry but its the sad true.

In other hand for the "Blurry Textures" even using "Hi-Res" always ON seems to get some affected texture from time to time, this is not the right option since the viewer and second life were running fine a week ago, this just started for me, I don't see clothes affected but what I can see are textures of my own on prims getting blurry when they are out of sight, I turn around and I see blurryness and so on. Also noticed for a couple of months that those prims that are not in sight are derrendered by the viewers, I don't know why so many limitations from the viewer and server side, there should be an option to unlock everything, just like the "Hi-Res" option, I use it all the time, I didn't crash so far, lets say... for two years now.

I wish Linden Labs could make better tweaks to their platforms, instead of the fake and annoying maintenance and region restarts.

In Answer to Blurryness : Use "Hi-Res" option, if your computer is powerful enough, mine isn't and its still alive.

Alternative Eco Friendly Fix ( : Clear Cache

Things I wouldn't Do : Change Cache Size . I never had to, never had trouble everything loads perfectly 

Press Control + Shift + Alt + D for Advanced menu, then enable Developer Menu from there to use the "Full Res" or "Hi-Res" option.

Lets hope for less blurry and broken worlds in Second Life.

Deve Menu.png

• Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.