Surround sound support, ever?

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So the other day I was spending some time optimizing my sound on my PC. Getting the speakers positioned and all my audio settings running nicely for the 5.1 surround sound system I have.

Then today I was in SL tinkering, and realized that we don't have surround sound here.

Left, right, and center channels seem to be respected, but not the rear channels (not sure about subwoofer, either). Think we'll ever see 5.1/7.1 support, or should we expect that on the "next platform"?

This is high on my wishlist, too.

Center is just made up from a mix of front-left and front-right. The subwoofer is like center but only keyed into lower frequencies, so it will work in SL. It's just rear-left and rear-right that are missing, because SL only plays audio in stereo.

It's something to do with the audio codec, but which one SL uses escapes me. It's just old, I would guess, there's no real trick to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm quite sure i've heard SL Voice from my rear speakers when someone talked behind me. Using a Creative X-Fi  Surround 5.1 & Sound Blaster Z (yes 2 soundcards + onboard) with a Logitech Z906. Maybe its your speakers?

I know mine does have various different settings where the audio is mixed up by the Z906. Basically some settings for completely loosing surround sound and 2 for having true surround sound while one is mixed and the other is direct (i'm not into the topic of sound mechanics, i might talk crap here)

Well guess it would help if you would describe your setup.

Edit: i guess i see what you mean ... normal sounds always come out of the front speakers... 

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.