Support to HTC Vive for Second Life

Red2Blaze

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys, not sure if these is the right place to suggest/ask these, but doing so any way :P

If its the worng place please do tell me

So dose anyone know? will Second Life support HTC Vive VR head set in some point? is there any plans for it?

I know it needs to support the Oculus Rift but the only one i know that is getting one is getting the HTC Vive, and i want to know if il be able to use Second life while using it, if i get to leand it

Support for mobile devices is problematic. Mobile devices do NOT have the rendering power needed to render a virtual world. Nor will they have for some years.

SL will NOT be able to support Oculus Rift type VR headsets. SL has made a VR compatible viewer. You'll find it in Official Alrernate Viewers. But, SL is very likely to produce a high degree of simulator sickness. That is the reason Project Sansar is being developed.

Second Life does work with cloud-rendered viewers. See: https://www.brightcanopy.com/ It isn't free.

The rendering is done in the cloud, not in the mobile device. This will probably be true for Sansar as well. Ebbe, Linden CEO, has said they haven't looked in detail at streaming as they are hoping tech and pricing will stabilize so we see competitive pricing. Until then he doesn't expect to support mobile.

What you suggest is currently outside the tech envelope...

Nalates Urriah wrote:

Support for mobile devices is problematic. Mobile devices do NOT have the rendering power needed to render a virtual world. Nor will they have for some years.

Although one doesn't expect a company like HTC to make anything but cell phones, HTC vibe is not a "mobile device", it's a full on VR headset with motion sensing, full room in fact so it exceeds the Rift, and hand paddles.

It's not really so different to what the Occulus Rift is. One's video card does the rendering, and that video card needs to be powerful to be able to send data fast enough to the display inside the headset.

But yeah, any 9xx series NVidia or greater really.

I have hopes that someone will hack in the changes to the code so it works on the Vibe too - and theoretically it would be just as possible as the Rift I would guess, but I doubt it will be the Lab.

If I have my history right, the TPV that supports the Occulus Rift is using the patch from about hmmm, 2010 that created analglyphs. They worked hard, did a great job, and bought that up to date to be compatible with the rift (I welcome them to correct me). In the grand scheme of things it should be no harder to support the Vive, or any other headset that follows.... just have to tempt a TPV dev hard enough.

OP, Maybe, buy one a Vibe and say "want to try getting this working!" xD

Well from what I understand it depends on how they build it, the Rift has its drivers (sdk?) That only it can use, Vive use an openVR that any device use as well as the Rift

As the VR support is not so new I think it is likely made with the Rift only

Any way interesting stuff thanks

PS I wish :P but I can't even buy for my self going to use a a friend's most likely

Maybe I'll make them one in-world

Red2Blaze wrote:

Well from what I understand it depends on how they build it, the Rift has its drivers (sdk?) That only it can use, Vive use an openVR that any device use as well as the Rift

As the VR support is not so new I think it is likely made with the Rift only

SDK or the API is different yes. Luckily both of them interface nicely down to OpenGL, which is what SL is based on.

I am hoping too for the Vibe in SL, I know another virtual world I shouldn't mention here can use the Vibe, but that's still in open alpha with about 48 "sims" only.

I wouldn't give up on it being supported in SL, it's a way better headset.

O.. well no idea :P just remmber someone saying SDK someone API no idea what's what

Is there a problem saying outher VW in here?

I hope so too, may start sending free Vive to water in SL to ask for support :P

Congrats on becoming a member

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Red2Blaze. I was in Second Life with my Oculus Rift Development Kit 2 last night, using Linden Lab's Project Oculus SL Viewer and Oculus runtime 0.5. Linden Lab is still planning to produce a new VR viewer for the consumer version of the Rift using runtime 1.3. There is also a third-party viewer for the Rift from CtrlAltStudio.
You are also wrong about everyone getting motion sick from Second Life in the Rift. Yes, SL's framerate is low and therefore it is not as comfortable as other VR experiences. However, using VR is something the brain gets used to the more you use it. Back in the year 2013, when I received my first Oculus Rift devkit,  I used to get sick in VR after only 20 minutes. Nowadays with the DK2 I can stay in Second Life for 5 hours or more, cam zooming wildly, without ever getting motion sick. Sansar will be great, I am sure. But don't write off Second Life as a great platform for VR headsets so easily.

thanks for the info

good to know they keep working on it for the rift

but I really like to know but the Vive, as I know someone who is getting one, but I know nobody that is getting a rift

abut motion sickness was that detected at me? I don't think I said anything abut that

Vive owner here and I been spending a few frustrating days trying to get SL to be friendly with it.  No luck so far.  Getting the project client to recognize that my GTX980 supports the necessary sharders alone was a sanity challenger. (._.)

I plan to tinker with AltspaceVR and give Steam's SurrealVR a go.  But, so far, nothing compares to SL. (>_<)

CtrlAltStudio seems impossible as well, given they quit updating the project half a year ago. (T_T)

Well from what i can see they did not update much abut the Oculus Rift from 2014..

Not sure if they even updated that viewer from then, so maybe they just abanded it? :matte-motes-crying:

If they did not i really hope they add support for the HTC Vive.. i mean from what i understand it uses OpenVR, that is basiclly allowing any VR device to use it, so if they support it, they will support all the devices that will come later on, as well as the Oculus Rift in one pack

I just got my shipping notice today, and my Vive should be here monday.  Not a dev kit, but the real thing.

I'm sure it'll come with enough games to keep me busy for a while, but I've got to say I'm a littled worried by all the silence from Linden Labs.

• 2 weeks later...

I am very sure its possible to get the htc vive working on SL VR viewer, but i dont have the knowledge for that.

I wish i could get my HTC vive working with it tho, just gotto wait for project sansar i guess

By the time I get my Vive, if no one has started working on a viewer that supports it, I'll write a viewer that does support the vive. So there will be a viewer that supports it.

In fact, it's one of the very reasons that I filed this suggestion https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-11851

Of course with SL's framerate issues, there are some optimizations that will be required, I already have a few in mind(these cannot be added into regular viewers due to removal of stuff people use).

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if i am using it right, but i did open a reqrest/suggestion on the Second Life Jira now:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-18228

Hope i did it right :cattongue:

Ok working on a real model of HTC Vive now, hopfully il get how to do it right, going to spread them out for free, in a way i hope to show who wants support (and maybe later on be used when someone want to show there using it)

so far my friend seem to be too busy to work on a support for VR in a viewer, so i guess that is off the table for now from my side :(, at least up to when they get more time

Not the most optimal solution but theres one way you can play SL with the VIVE; I use Virtual Desktop with Firestorm and it runs fine; not 'true VR' but funtional and amusing.

Secondly, has anyone tried to use the REVIVE projects injection into SL viewer, not sure if it'd work and not interested enough in trying it; but revive does convert several Oculus-running games into Vive usable. Might try it myself in .. well, days/weeks when I'm not so busy/interested in other stuff, like Dishonored/Subnatica .. but still!

two things

1. seem we got an update on the request by Linden, even that i do not understand what they did :( dose any one else get it? what dose "Triaged" mean?

second, seems there is a voting things on bugs, so i guess giving it a "like" for the bug may help to push LL to do it

so maybe worth doing it:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-18228?page=com.googlecode.jira-suite-utilities:transitions-summary-tabpanel

"Triaged" means separated by severity. It comes from the medical profession where you need to triage your patients by order of severity from minor cuts and bruises to the life threatening so you can treat the patients who are closest to death first before you take care of patients who don't need immediate assistance.

In the software/programming world it means to address the critical bugs before you address minor features. In terms of necessity, VR isn't very high on the list. Something like fixing a security vulnerability or exploit will demand immediate attention while VR would be nice to have but isn't necessary.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.