Suggestion: Ability to change Username entirely. Through Payment!

LordSpyro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Fixed length keys can't be infinitely random, there will be repeats over a long enough period. Repeat keys existing within the userbase are very unlikely statistically, but even if they did occur they wouldn't necessarily matter.

I don't know whether SL checks for duplicates, and don't believe it matters (I have a vague memory of UUID reclaimation but nothing to back it up). A UUID is not necessarily a Primary Key, and this is my central point. Being unique - if it is - is not enough to quality, neither would it qualify if it never appeared to change.

It's convenient for agents to have UUIDs for lots of reasons in-world, but as Cerise's examples show It would be a mistake for anyone to assume that a UUID automatically implied integrity or consistency throughout SL's systems. Or anywhere.

And thanks Cerise! I'm going to go read more of that page - I always end up feeling stupid for some reason or other. :P

• 3 months later...

A user name change for the reason the poster originally stated, to avoid spammers, griefers and trollers, would do nothing, precisely because they are often scripts, which can use the key. Changing that is not superficial, because everything related to you is tied to that, as others have said, including groups, permissions, inventory, land access etc etc, because after all it's a hex number, and can avoid a look up table from ther name. Billing ultimately probably relies on it to, names, like web domains, are just useful to the humans for support purposes, computers use numbers not strings.

I'm sure they have a mecahnism in place to do it, in exceptional circumstances, but hundreds of thousands of people would be doing this if there was the chance, and the servers would be spending all their time updating all those assets, tables and files, rather than actually running SL and users.

Impractical financially, system wise, time wise and for control purposes. Especially when the easy solution is create a new account.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.