Stuck on "Initializing VFS"

Urahara7474

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I went out of town for two weeks and used SL just fine on my laptop. I came back and tried to use it on my desktop and found that I couldn't even log in. When I run the program it gets stuck on the little pop up box that says "Initializing VFS."

This problem occurs exactly the same on every viewer I've tried. Both Linden Labs and third party.

I've tried reinstalling and doing clean installs. And yes, when I say clean install I mean everything. I went through my files and made sure nothing was left, especially from the caches.

I even updated my graphics card driver to the latest version.

Tried running as Administrator

Tried changing internet connections (I've got two services)

Tried reseting modem

This is really confusing because I used to run SL just fine on my desktop. I've researched the issue and have tried everything everyone else has suggested on other threads. I'm really out of ideas.

I'd appreaciate any help I could get.

If you have tried everything... there is nothing left to suggest. You are doomed...

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

There is no VFS error I know of that extends across all viewers and clean installs that is viewer related. That all viewers have the problem suggests that it is definitely not a viewer problem. It has to be something on your computer that has changed.

Some have this problem with wireless headsets. Some USB devices can cause problems after some system updates. Unplug all those and try. Try disabling your anti-virus. 

A last resort is to delete the caches at C:\Users\[Win_Login_ID]\AppData\Local\SecondLife\

A large flat inventory can prevent login. But, that problem usually lets you past VFS and gives a network error.

You can look in the log after a crash and see if you have an error message. C:\Users\[Win_Login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs That may give you a clue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.