Strainge issue

KarraSue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Having a weird isssue logging onto SL.at approx 11:30 am Central US time. My avatar is all grey, and My house is not rezzing.

Also My name is not showing up above My avi ,and My friends list is not showing, and groups shows 0 out of 42 ( i belong to 40 groups)

If I try to TP elsewhere I get logged out

I was on early this am, approx 6:30 am central time and all was working well. What is the issue,and how can it be resolved.

KarraSue wrote:

Having a weird isssue logging onto SL.at approx 11:30 am Central US time. My avatar is all grey, and My house is not rezzing.

Also My name is not showing up above My avi ,and My friends list is not showing, and groups shows 0 out of 42 ( i belong to 40 groups)

If I try to TP elsewhere I get logged out

I was on early this am, approx 6:30 am central time and all was working well. What is the issue,and how can it be resolved.

Those are symptoms of what's called "caps [capabilities] failure" for a region - many regions were restarted today and sometimes some of them come up not able to properly connect to the services that provide textures, lists, etc. Restarting the region should fix it, and you can also log into another region from the start-up screen in the meantime.

I just re logged in to SL, and the friends list is not showing again and some of My inventory is not appearing. Avi not rezzing either, just an orange "cloud". When I try to Teleport to another region, I get logged off. Plus, My landmarks are not loading in My inventory. All My friends and groups are showing in My dashboard

Everything was ok when I loged off at approximately 4:45 am SL time

KarraSue wrote:

I just re logged in to SL, and the friends list is not showing again and some of My inventory is not appearing. Avi not rezzing either, just an orange "cloud". When I try to Teleport to another region, I get logged off. Plus, My landmarks are not loading in My inventory. All My friends and groups are showing in My dashboard

Everything was ok when I loged off at approximately 4:45 am SL time

Try logging into a completely different region from the login screen. Do not try to start at your home/last region. If it's the problem it sounds like it should be isolated to that region.

I was finally able to TP to another region, and My avatar fully appeared, and all My inventory items came back. Waht caused this, was it part of some region restarts? If so, I have never had it affect My avi loading or My inventory

Tuesday and Wednesday are the days that new server software rolls out. 

Tuesday most of the grid is restarting. The process starts about 6 or 7 AM PT. On Wednesday about 20% of the grid is being restarted as release candidate software rolls out to a smaller portion of the grid.

During the time regions are restarting everything gets funky. The restarts throw a heavy load on the backend systems. Processes can timeout and cause problems.

What Theresa Tennyson is talking about is a bug in the server restarting process. There is a bug that causes the region server to fail to connect to the backend servers. The backend servers provide services we call capabilities, CAPS. The caps work by means of API's - application programming interfaces. To use those a server must be authorized. Some where in the authorization and connect process something goes wrong. The region server is sort of just setting there all by its lonesome self. Like locking ourself out of the house. You cannot get your inventory, friends, and other lists, which live on the backend servers and feed to you at the request of the region server you're using. 

This is a problem with the region server. The region server has to be restarted.... well restarted by operations. If I have understood correctly, an estate manager restart often does not solve the problem. But, since it is a specific region server that has the problem, you can go to antoher region and everyting will work.

There is the problem that a large number of regions will hit the problem on a grid wide restart. It can take some time for the Lab's operations people to get the mess cleaned up. So, you may have to try 3 or 4 regions.

It is a good idea to have both Firestorm or whatever your favorite viewer is and the Linden made SL Viewer installed. If both viewers have the problem it is highly unlikely the problem is viewer related. It strongly suggests the problem is network or SL server based.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3227 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.